How old/young to start a child in FFing?

P

purplewoolly

I know it depends on the child , but how old did everyone start their children casting, catching bluegills just the basic stuff? I have a 5 year old who was casting, hooking and landing 10" SMB with spinning tackle this summer. I don't want to rush it but would like to get him "switched over" as early as possible. Pros and cons from your experiences please.

I had both my kids fishing with A spin cast rod around age 4, got them both on spinning rods with spinners around 6. By the time the hit 8 they were trying the fly rod. My daughter loved the fly rod and stuck with it but my son love the spinning rod and prefers that. But at least they both still fish and love it. Now I have 2 grandsons , one is 4 1/2 the other 2 1/2. Time to get them started.

My oldest just turned 4 a few days ago. Last summer I tried taking him to a bluegill pond. Didn't go so well. He ran around the pond with mama while I fished the 3 foot Snoopy rod. I caught a gill and called him over. He pointed and said "fishy" then kept running. Then they took a little hike and I realized I'm that guy who's an adult at a public fishing pond with a Snoopy rod and no kid in sight. "I think I'll call it a day."

But he does like to "play" fishing in the yard. We both carry a dowel rod, which are spare tomato stakes. Run to a "spot" he determines, pretend to cast, then he hooks one and I have to put my rod down, grab a net, jump in front of him and land a pretend grass fish. Then he pretends to pick it up like a grip and grin picture, release it, then we pick up the rods and run to the next spot. Repeat. And this can last more than an hour.

In case you were wondering, under the weeping cherry is the hotspot. Always get a big one there.

I tried replacing the dowel rod with a real fishing rod. No dice. Resulted in a mini breakdown till I gave him "his" rod back.

The dowel rod has to have a "circle" where a reel would go. It's gotta be round and on the bottom. We use a Tonka truck wheel. I guess I'll call that progress.

P.S. My youngest is 11 months. If you give him a stick like thing, he'll either try to eat it or wack you with it and giggle.

I'm curious what's the rush? Let him catch fish that's the key and let him tell you if and when he wants to try something different. Heck I spent more time skipping rocks and catching snakes, frogs, salamanders then fishing when my dad took me fishing as a youngster. My dad was just a big kid to and he would put down his fishing gear and hunt for stuff with me.

I appreciate that he exposed me to all types of fishing and to this day I enjoy fishing creeks, lakes, rivers, ponds, oceans and through the ice with whatever gear best facilitates what I'm after. Why limit his fishing experience. Exposure to more is better then less right?

The right time is when your child wants to fly fish more than you want him/her to.

If it were me, I'd create opportunities, but not force it. I'd be afraid of putting them off of it due to a frustrating experience.

Ironically, this just worked for tying with my 10y/o nephew. This past summer we caught aquatic insects while camping, and he really took an interest in them. His main interest has been trains and engines, so I wasn't sure if he'd be into tying. I thought I'd put feelers out, and brought my vise and some materials to my parents' house. I set up shop at the kitchen table and started tying, knowing he'd wander by at some point to look for a snack. As soon as he saw me tying he asked if he could try. After he tied his first fly (Walt's worm), he asked for a vise, tools, and materials for Christmas. So, my plan went horribly right haha. I was honestly surprised how well he did.

My nephews were 6&9. We started spin fishing and went 2 years before I even attempted fly fishing with them. The younger one would lose interest of he wasn't catchiing fish after fish. The older one 'got it'. He realized that it was an experience, not just catching fish. He showed interest in aquatic life, tying flies and taking pictures........then he discovered boobies. Game over. Once he gets past that phase (30 yrs), we'll try again. For now, his little bro is still into it and I hope to get him out a good bit this spring.

It's a bit of a shame too. The older one was a hell of a caster for a kid with very little experience.

How young is too young? Case by case basis and you know the kids better than we do. Give them the opportunity without pushing it on them.

purplewoolly wrote:
I know it depends on the child , but how old did everyone start their children casting, catching bluegills just the basic stuff? I have a 5 year old who was casting, hooking and landing 10" SMB with spinning tackle this summer. I don't want to rush it but would like to get him "switched over" as early as possible. Pros and cons from your experiences please.

Sorry if this contains repeat advice, because I wanted to respond before reading all the posts.

No one doubts that for youngsters, spinning tackle is easiest for them to master or just become competent. If they begin to show any interest in the long rod, let them try. Maybe you will let them practice with you in the lawn or borrow your rod on the lake or stream.

I took my son to a bluegill lake early on and he spin-cast as I fly fish. He couldn't hook a thing despite his bobbing bobber. I, on the other hand was catching them left and right on dries. Naturally, he became curious, and we put his spin tackle aside and I proceeded to cast and hand him the rod, with instructions on maintaining little slack, most of which I took up before handing over the rod.

I eventually taught him to hook a fish on the fly rod. Casting to the fish, was still a lesson to be learned. I saved that for subsequent trips.

Many times kids like FFing better than spin fishing. They find watching a bobber or watching a rod resting on a stick boring.

When FFing, you are constantly active, casting, picking up and recasting. The casting itself becomes part of the allure, and it seems to hold their interest more.

I've taught many kids to FF down to age 7, and I started FFing at about age 10 and fly tying a year or two after that.

Great point, afish, why do we prefer fly fishing? The rhythm and the riddle? So why can't a shorty appreciate that as well?

The mechanics of FFing are a little more difficult to master, but not extraordinarily so.

And, regarding the mechanics, we all had to learn the difference in casting stroke between a spin and fly setup; that is, the difference between letting the bait carry itself outward to our target or our using the leverage of a heavier line to softly land or slap down our imitation.

I personally believe that age 4 is the optimal age to attempt to corrupt the youth toward FFing.

Oh, and starting them on Tenkara is best.

Do your best to make the outing enjoyable for them no matter spin or fly. If they want to leave to play in the park or just want to go home then do what they say. I've been guilty of not listening and turning it into fishing for me...make it all about them!...this way they have good memories of just being outside and perhaps they connect those memories later down the line with fishing.

Taught my kids and now grandkids, and say don't rush it and make the kids come first. Kids' attention spans are tiny so heading to a pond/creek will be just as much catching crayfish, skipping stones, chucking sticks in the water, etc as it is fishing. Let them enjoy the outdoors on their own terms and the fishing will come.

As far as tackle, your mileage can vary. I like to start with cane poles and subtle bobbers. I also found 10x cricket hooks to get sunnies unhooked easily. Spincast and fly have their place, as noted before. Boys in their crazy moments just like to throw a bobber with spincast as far as possible. I have found most kids take to fly fishing once they have a little more patience - usually around 12 to 14 - but I also know some kids who took to it very early. A few kids I know go more for fly tying and are fascinated by flies more than the fishing.

Safety First - crush down all barbs and make the kids wear glasses.

afishinado wrote:
Many times kids like FFing better than spin fishing. They find watching a bobber or watching a rod resting on a stick boring.

When FFing, you are constantly active, casting, picking up and recasting. The casting itself becomes part of the allure, and it seems to hold their interest more.

I've taught many kids to FF down to age 7, and I started FFing at about age 10 and fly tying a year or two after that.

Bobbers and sticks and stereotypes. I'm very active casting, picking up and recasting with spinning gear as are most people. My dad tried getting me to fly fish but I hated it. He tried well into my adult years put never pushed it. He let me do my thing while he did his and we did it together. It's the together that mattered to him not the fly fishing. Now I'm my dad it just took me 50 years to grow an appreciation for fly fishing.

My five year old went with me this year. He coasted with my assistance but had success on a Zebco Dock demon that I relived with 4 pound line. I also tied him up a bunch of flies that were really heavy so he could cast them. Walmart sells small foam bobbers for a dollar that help with casting too.

Usually after a fish or two he finds it more interesting to look for crayfish and minnie's.

I have a 2.5 year old that i took this summer in a little stream in front of my house thinking all i would hook would be creek chubs.. Well some sportsmen club or someone stocked some bows in it, and to my surprise i hooked one right away, let him reel it in, and tossed it back in and we called it a day. done in 10 minutes.

being that hes so young, we "talk" about fishing alot.. He's always interested in asking me how fishing was when i got back, i show him pictures on my phone and that keeps his interest until its time to watch paw patrol on tv.

I went saturday alone and he said he wanted to go.

I guess the more i do it, the more interest hes eventually going to have in it as long as i dont push it on him.. i didnt own a fly rod until i turned 12 from my father.. he always took me but let me use his, or i had a spinning outfit.

i guess i turned out ok.. so far

Bobbers and sticks and stereotypes. I'm very active casting, picking up and recasting with spinning gear as are most people.

That's absolutely true, for people who are more serious fishermen. But when you're talking first casts with a 4-7 year old, the old bobber gets quite a bit of use.

By the time I was 10 I was working bass lures in the local bluegill pond and fishing for trout by tight line drift fishing bait, very much resembling high stick nymphing. But at 4 or 5. Yeah. Red and white bobber.

The red and white bobber is a rite of passage.

My daughter who is 7 uses a little ugly stick casting rod. She is not quite ready for the fly rod. When bluegills are only hitting dries on the surface, I'll put a dry fly on with a giant bobber. The bobber is just there to help cast the fly. The bobber and the fly hit the water a few inches apart but bluegills don't care!!

Back