How much of the front of you line can you cut off before...?

Hmmm, very cool and simple. You the man HA

Yup so this seems pretty easy other than one little detail...

Where do you find clear heat shrink?!?!?

I've been all over my town from electronics shops to automotive shops n no luck any where...

I'm going to seem like a wiseass for doing this this way, but ...

link

If I had some I'd send you some, but I don't (I checked). I don't think clear is typically used with electrical or electronics.

Did see that 3M makes it, so maybe they can tell you who carries it.

You might even find it in a craft store.

Question. This nick, is there a chunk missing, or is everything still there and it is more of a cut?

Well looks like I'll be ordering a 4' section then cheap enough n will be good stuff to have around. Plus on a bonus side I just hybrided my first pole I broke with another pole I broke making for a nice 10' 8wt! Should be awesome for drifting and it just landed a 30" carp, so she's strong enough!!! I'm tickled about this frankin rod!!!!

Farmer Dave, I going with a cut and some what stretched out. Though while driving back from the local test hole from the frankin rod test, I remembered one more autoparts store. Well no 1/8" but they did have 3/16" so I'm hoping it will shrink down enough to do what I need it to do... More details later when I go to patch it up.

Thanks again to everyone who gave info on what to do! And here's to hoping this works...

This is where I got the 1/8" heat shrink tube from:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102875

They have this at my local RS, but you can order just the 1/8" stuff online.

Good luck - it's really a simple repair. Just make sure you leave enough tubing on either end of the repair so it doesn't shrink from end to end, and make a mark on the line. Makes it easier to cut off, too.

DJBerg wrote:
Farmer Dave, I going with a cut and some what stretched out.

What I was getting at with that question is that if a hunk is missing, you might want to add a small piece of line jacket from elsewhere on the line as filler to avoid having a thinner spot or kink in the line. It was just a thought.

Though while driving back from the local test hole from the frankin rod test, I remembered one more autoparts store. Well no 1/8" but they did have 3/16" so I'm hoping it will shrink down enough to do what I need it to do... More details later when I go to patch it up.

Thanks again to everyone who gave info on what to do! And here's to hoping this works...

Well, since the line is likely thicker 5 feet up, it might work OK. However, the shrink tubing typically only shrinks down to about half no matter how much more heat you apply. Can't hurt to try. Then again, the video was welding double thickness of line.

Would be easy enough to give it a try and find out. If it doesn't shrink down to the line size, then stop there and get the smaller stuff.

Definitely pay heed to H-A's last paragraph in his last response. Don't go cheap and try to get it done with minimal length.

Back