How much more can I take?

Nymph-wristed

Nymph-wristed

Deep freeze is killing me. I feel like Joe Pesci in those Snickers ads. Can I ice fish with skagit gear?

Calm down N-W, oh the Irony of Triple posting your muse about losing it.Love it!

Tie some flies.

https://www.angelsenvy.com/whiskey/
That oughta do it. Happy New Year

Find a tailwater......

Just gonna have to sack up and go fish the streams that stay warmer in the winter...

If Iwas you I'd go.
Winter fishing in a deep freeze is some of my favorite. In the past 3 months I have gotten sick from my kids so many times I've hardly done anything. I wish I could. I'm finally getting better so maybe in a few weeks.

Nymph-wristed wrote:
Deep freeze is killing me. I feel like Joe Pesci in those Snickers ads. Can I ice fish with skagit gear?

I hear yuh.

With last winter so mild it has seemed that we've become accustomed to nearly year round open water season. Last year I was FFing for river bass in January(!). So yes, a deep and extended winter cold period such as this can really be a downer as we wait for milder weather.

Nevertheless, as others have pointed out, there's fly tying and other home projects and if you dress approiately you can scratch the fishing bug a bit. I'm heading out tomorrow.

The river WW game is shut down but spring creeks and even mountain brookies are fishable right now. There's not much snow on the ground here in the SCPA region so mountain streams, although they're icy, are faily easy to access (I'd rather have some ice on pools than deep snow).

For those of us who are fortunate to live fairly close to mountain brookies and limestone streams, it's not that hard to find some decent trout fishing. For others some drive time makes it tougher.

I've been shoveling every day this week. there is only some much room for 6'+ feet of snow. I haven't been able to do anything else.

I don’t envy your shoveling. I was able to get out fishing Fri and Sat, and even had some dryfly action. It’s nice to be local to limestone influenced creeks.

fisherboy3 wrote:
Just gonna have to sack up and go fish the streams that stay warmer in the winter...

Put your sack where your mouth is... wait, money where you sack is... wait, forget it. What I am trying to say is I am going Wednesday somewhere if you are off next week. If not, I am mostly off until 1/18, I think, so hit me up.

If winter come can spring be far behind?
Winter sucks even here in Florida. GG

Winter does suck....and it's crazy cold right now.

FFing isn't really any fun with frozen lines and guides.

But if you look at the weather forecast for next week and the following week, the high temps are forecasted rise into and high 30's and into 40's some days.

Definitely doable for a winter trip or two....just hang on 'til next week!

My favorite local wild trout streams are all open and ice free. My phone says that is is -1° right now though. I'm with you though I'm ready to get back out on some water. It would take only one cast in these temps before your line would freeze in the guides.

Oh and on a side note why not try to do some ice fishing? Sure, it isn't fly fishing but we hardly ever get enough good ice around these parts for a good ice fishing season. I'd say these temps have the lakes pretty safe right now.

There is quite a bit of ice on parts of Spring Creek. And I saw ice on parts of Fishing Creek the other day also.

Even on the open areas if you fish when the air temps are really cold, you'll get ice in the guides early and often.

In the winter time when you're getting cabin fever, just put on some warm clothes and go for a walk in the great outdoors, at a local park or whatever is nearby.

You don't need to pester the fish to enjoy the outdoors.

troutbert wrote:
You don't need to pester the fish to enjoy the outdoors.

I absolutely agree. ^

We need to get outside this time of year to keep our minds right and a good walk or hike really helps.

There are a lot of hiking trails around trout streams - think of the old rail to trail along Letort - that are great places to walk. In fact, if you walk a stream, you'll notice things that are often overlooked if you're too busy trying to string up your rod. Noticing these things will make you a better angler.

Better yet, take a dog and some binoculars for bird watching too.

Walking along a trout stream without a fly rod is my personal definition of hell.

I learned more on the Letort without a rod than I have fishing it for years.
Great advice.

With the recent temps, fishing couldn't be further from my thoughts. Not only is the idea of losing a toe or finger not appealing, exposing a fish to air temps this low isn't promoting protection of the resource. The notion of attempting to fish in 19 degree weather strikes me as foolish and selfish. Just my opinion though

I tried ice fishing last year, but had the darnedest time dropping the fly in that little hole.

Back