How many use clear rubber nets?

nets are good when dry fly fishing with 7x tippet , spring time ...really not needed

If using a net, I use a clear rubber one. I seem to use it less and less, but I will never go back to a mesh one. No issues in hooking the netting with tandem rigs. I've even landed steelhead in my rubber net.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
You think you're thrify, I've been lugging a net around for years on a clip for a dog chain. I want to get a magnetic release for the net but can't justify spending 20-25 bucks for one. I think that I'm going to cave and get one. My buddy has had one for years and I've never seen him struggle to get his net like I do.

One of the smarter dumb things I've wasted my money on in this hobby.

I carry a net, and when I can't get them to throw the hook with slack, I always use it. Having it clipped on with a carabiner was almost impossible, and the shock cord routine soured me the first time I took a net to the back of the neck.

As for rubber bags, I'd buy one as they're supposed to be nicer than the soft mesh, but they weigh too much.

Count me as a bit skeptical of the "fish can't see it" claim with regards to clear mesh nets. However, we've all had instances where a fish spooked just as we put the net in the water near it so maybe there's some validity to the claim. I build my own nets and would consider a soft plastic mesh however the ones I'm seeing aren't deep enough. I only net trout if I intend to photograph them (or kill them to eat). The deep mesh bag allows you to keep the fish in the water while fumbling to set up your camera etc. Shallow bags don't allow this as they must be held horizontally otherwise a fish (esp a big fish over 20") will simply flip out. Until rubber bags are available in deeper models I'll stick with mesh.

Wow i never thought of clear rubber for taking pictures. My major problem with the mesh net is that the fly and the fish get hooked in it, and the chances of ruining the net and the fish is too high. I've never seen clear rubber nets. Where would I find one?

Not much of a net user- but when I do it is a Brodin ghost. Stay thristy my friends.

Attachments

• This feels comfortable.jpg
    This feels comfortable.jpg
    975.6 KB · Views: 1
I don't use a net and probably injure and/or kill a fish now and again as a result. But, I usually fish well-known streams, so....

I've been looking at nets for quite some time. Im looking for one that is light cheep and able to land a steelhead as I live up here in Erie County.

JackM wrote:
I don't use a net and probably injure and/or kill a fish now and again as a result. But, I usually fish well-known streams, so....

Barbarian!!:evil:...;-)

IMO, seldom does it hurt not netting a fish. I only use a net on bigger water with bigger fish. Most times I can unhook a fish without even touching it or taking it out of the water by grabbing the fly with my fingers if it's exposed, or my hemostats, if it's hooked in the mouth and unhooking my barbless hook. That is always Plan A.

With a bigger fish (Plan B), I will net him, and while keeping the net in the water and unhook him as above. I only gently hold a fish (Plan C) if I run into difficulty removing the hook.

I carry a net on streams where I'm likely to catch big fish - such as the Delaware.

Sightnymph - I also didn't want to spend $25 on a magnetic release.
But I came across one that was only $17, at the Catskill Fly shop in Roscoe NY last month, and got it.

I went fishing net less last night. I hate it. The way I see it, if you keep the net really wet, and keep the fish in water, it won't hurt them. And I snapped off a trout trying to get the hook out. I would rather it lose a tiny bit of slime than have a picece of metal in its mouth and maybe swallow it.

I'm the same way, except I know that they'll either work the hook out, or it'll rust out in short order.

I figure I'm less prone to damage the fish by holding it in a wet (or submerged) net than trying to grab it and remove the hook with my finger.

Everyone's got their method, and they're supremely confident in that.

Back