How many hatcheries in PA

Fish Sticks

Fish Sticks

I was searching to try to find how many hatcheries currently exist in the state of Pennsylvania?

Reason being, in 2008 Mark Hudy Et al. Looked at known and predicted status of brook trout in subwatersheds. Predicted total forest, sulfate and nitrate deposition, percent mixed forest in the water corridor, percent agriculture, and road density were used to predict brook trout distribution and status.

Reason this above question about hatcheries is very relevant is this predictive model ignores one critical factor that factors in heavily into if native brook trout can can persist in a waterway……..groundwater. See below study voicing this concern.

So back to hatcheries, and why am I trying to find out roughly how many in the state?
What do hatcheries need to use? Cold ground water upwellings in most cases. Springs and upwellings that would normally be prime native brook trout spawning habitat/thermal refuge. Anyone familiar with big spring in newville and it’s tragic history for native brook trout is aware of the damage that high jacking some of the best native brook trout habitat in the state can cause.

PA fish and boat has perverted some of the best groundwater upwellings in such a manor on some of the best streams in this state in watersheds with struggling brook trout populations. This steals that spawning habitat/thermal refuge to produce stocked trout that eat, out compete, and restrict gene flow of our native brook trout much like a bad culvert in many cases. This double death blow is also happening with co-op hatcheries, commercial trout farms/pay lakes, sportsman’s club hatcheries, individuals private property, and spring fed farm ponds.

Wether a dammed up spring creates a farm pond with or without raising trout in it, that is still taking away potential spawning thermal refuge from native brook trout if they exist in that subwatershed most likely. Lol how many of those dot the hillsides in every rural town in PA in addition to hatcheries?

My point is for some reason we think of places native brook trout can survive as only perfect undisturbed forests for some reason when there are plenty of spring creeks with agriculture around the state that contain brookies, many unknown because on private farms. Some studies of streams containing brook trout in the driftless region have roughly 70% land use as Ag!!!! I am working to restore a stream right now that is higher percent land use by Ag than that and it contains a healthy population of native brook trout! We often assume brook trout cannot live in these streams, likely falsely I. Some cases. The fact that they are not found in more spring creeks based on Nathaniel hitt(brown trout displace brook trout from thermal refuge making them less tolerant of higher temperatures) and mark kirk’s publications(brook trout 12x more likely to be found if barrier present between nearest brown trout stocking location) below would suggest this is more of a brown trout issue than a stream/habitat issue in some cases.

Back to original question again. 67 counties Multiplied by hatcheries per county
(agency, co-op, sportsman’s, private, commercial, spring farm pond).
1000? 2000? I dunno? Add in all the springs dammed into ponds with no hatchery fish that dot the hillside and create a heat sink with the ponds large surface area that negates the ground waters effect. I don’t know how many thousands or tens of thousands of these there no longer contributing to cold water habitat.

In 2018 I went to an out of state stream at a more southern latitude that had been warm and dirty from ducks/geese causing algae previously from a dammed spring pond on the headwaters. But then the dam had been taken out years ago, brook trout had been introduced back into the stream. I caught a REAL 12” native brook trout. That’s when I realized there are many situations like this that could happen in PA if we weren’t wasting so much of our cold water habitat and blaming the lack of brook trout in existing spring creeks on the streams themselves instead of invasive trout. The above data shared heavily supports:

1. that we don’t have a correct idea of where brook trout can live

2.that we tend to ignore the powerful factors of hydrology(ground water) and harmful invasive trout species and blame just the stream channel/habitat and surrounding riparian areas alone.

I may be wrong, but are you implying that any trout species other than native brookies are invasive and should be eliminated?

A lot people feel that way these days on the assumption it's viable proposition everywhere and will magically make things the way they were 600 years ago...

....or maybe because brookies are dumber and easier to catch... ;)

However, I'm happy to say I am a charter member of "Trutta Aeternum."

I may be wrong, but are you implying that any trout species other than native brookies are invasive and should be eliminated?
I’m not implying their invasive I’m stating it is a pre established fact in the scientific community. See global invasive species data base, salmi trutta in top 100.

http://www.iucngisd.org/gisd/species.php?sc=78

if something is invasive or not is not how you feel about it. It’s binary (yes/no)

:non native-yes
:harmful to native aquatic species -yes

People confuse fishing and conservation. Fisheries scientists doing conservation care about intact food webs/community structure and saving native species. Not what you like to fish for. It is not currently possible to remove all browns from PA and I’m not advocating for that. I just want anglers to aknowledge we are picking an invasive species over a native species based on the false assumption that in every single case the issue was with the stream not what was living in it. As noted we have also underestimated hydrology. How many times an experienced fly fishermen dipped a thermometer in a stream and declared with seemingly expert confidence (75 deg in July) to warm for brook trout only to ignore fine special scale thermal refuge like spring seeps and pockets of cold water that Nathaniel hitts research show brook trout can use in summer if browns don’t push them out. You talk about these facts and people get so upset and it makes them so uneasy and feel more comfortable than with the tackle shop talk and rumors about brook trout’s conservation prospects instead of peer reviewed science. Anglers let their fishing creep into their conservation period. If you could only see how optimistic the PhD’s researching brook trout are about our ability to recover these fish compared to the angling community and Pa fish and boats brook trout defeatism while they Mia manage them into the ground. My advise is go read the articles available on the eastern brook trout joint venture and USGS site about brook trout before you try to criticize my statements.

A lot people feel that way these days on the assumption it's viable proposition everywhere and will magically make things the way they were 600 years ago...

....or maybe because brookies are dumber and easier to catch... ;)

However, I'm happy to say I am a charter member of "Trutta Aeternum."

More tackleshop talk, citing fishing as reason trying to recover native brook trout that are state fish and djndicator species that are important part of food web in cold water ecosystems. Google what a trophic cascade is THATS why I’m trying to educate people on this. Fishy and conservation have different end goals this is the conservation forum. Not saying it’s wrong to fish for browns and rainbows either because again, fishing not conservation.

Big misconception that we are trying to return to 600 years ago. We can’t and we don’t need to. We just need to map out these fishes life histories and populations and build around thermal refuges, intact pieces of water way and maximize connectivity and remove invasive species in some limited cases where it makes sense. It’s about mitigation of stressors on the brookies and helping them use the waterway in a new way than they did 600 years ago

Can we get the following subforums?

- Aspiring Fisheries Biologist discussion
- Peer reviewed brook trout scientific paper book club discussion
- Posts over 10,000 words
Fisheries science makes you so uncomfortable because how you feel about invasive trout and your fishing.this is conservation form and these facts that make you feel so uncomfortable about the negative effects of invasive salmonids are as accepted as the color of the sky with brook trout ecologists and experts. Can talk about “ conservation” of invasive species in the fishing forums.

Fisheries science makes you so uncomfortable because how you feel about invasive trout and your fishing.this is conservation form and these facts that make you feel so uncomfortable about the negative effects of invasive salmonids are as accepted as the color of the sky with brook trout ecologists and experts. Can talk about “ conservation” of invasive species in the fishing forums.
Fisheries science doesn't make me uncomfortable.

Reading scientific papers on Google doesn't make you a Fisheries scientist.

Never said I was a fisheries scientist, and I guess you haven’t heard for the field called scientific communication where non fisheries scientists help share important research with the general public. And if I read them on google, my living room or where ever and post statements straight out of their abstracts who cares(besides you I guess). I didn’t come up with ANY OF THIS lol it’s all been read or told to me in person by fisheries scientists and they have asked for the publics help with outreach and education. I guess you want to put your fingers in your ears and scream “la la la” when I talk about this stuff and imagine a brook trout and brown trout sitting on a log singing coombiya together. Do you get as angry at the news informing you on issues you might vote on as you do hearing facts about how our scientists feel our state fish could be better managed?

I think unless a moderator here has an issue with posts it's probably best to leave the forum moderation to the forum moderators. You seem to be going out of your way to demean and discourage these discussions, which is a little bizarre.

This may come as a surprise, but you don't have to be a licensed AFS professional to talk about scientific publications in a public forum. You also don't need to be a postdoctoral associate to understand concepts written about in these publications. I'm not sure you know me or fish sticks to know our educational backgrounds either, so it's a little presumptuous to assume neither of us has, or is, pursuing environmental science degrees.

Never said I was a fisheries scientist, and I guess you haven’t heard for the field called scientific communication where non fisheries scientists help share important research with the general public. And if I read them on google, my living room or where ever and post statements straight out of their abstracts who cares(besides you I guess). I didn’t come up with ANY OF THIS lol it’s all been read or told to me in person by fisheries scientists and they have asked for the publics help with outreach and education. I guess you want to put your fingers in your ears and scream “la la la” when I talk about this stuff and imagine a brook trout and brown trout sitting on a log singing coombiya together. Do you get as angry at the news informing you on issues you might vote on as you do hearing facts about how our scientists feel our state fish could be better managed?
I'm not angry at all. I just don't agree with you. And my credentials don't come from Google...

I'm not angry at all. I just don't agree with you. And my credentials don't come from Google...
"You disagree with the peer-reviewed publications". If you knew who you were arguing with you'd probably be pretty embarrassed.

You do know that the invasive Brown and rainbows trout are stocked there for a put and take fishery. So catch them and keep them. Is what the fish comm figures. Just saying not starting nothing with this comment or am I lol.

Well the credentials of the fisheries scientists who post their research on the internet didn’t get theirs on google either. And what credentials do you have to disagree with their research/ findings that I’m sharing unaltered with you openly disclosing I’m not an expert either?

I think unless a moderator here has an issue with posts it's probably best to leave the forum moderation to the forum moderators. You seem to be going out of your way to demean and discourage these discussions, which is a little bizarre.

This may come as a surprise, but you don't have to be a licensed AFS professional to talk about scientific publications in a public forum. You also don't need to be a postdoctoral associate to understand concepts written about in these publications. I'm not sure you know me or fish sticks to know our educational backgrounds either, so it's a little presumptuous to assume neither of us has, or is, pursuing environmental science degrees.
My assumption was that you were both probably pursuing environmental science degrees, that seems pretty obvious.

And the enthusiasm and vigor you guys show is only second to the enthusiasm and vigor I showed towards partying at college (when I obtained my undergraduate degree in a related albeit more difficult science field) many years ago.

My assumption was that you were both probably pursuing environmental science degrees, that seems pretty obvious.

And the enthusiasm and vigor you guys show is only second to the enthusiasm and vigor I showed towards partying at college (when I obtained my undergraduate degree in a related albeit more difficult science field) many years ago.
No data, no citations, just a personal attack at the end of a baseless argument. If anyone else wants to talk about the underestimation of groundwater in brook trout habitat modeling, interaction of invasive and native salmonids on the conservation forum it looks like moon is starting to fizzle out here.

You do know that the invasive Brown and rainbows trout are stocked there for a put and take fishery. So catch them and keep them. Is what the fish comm figures. Just saying not starting nothing with this comment or am I lol.
About that. You're right. I've also heard that the fish are so poorly suited to survival that they pose no real threat to wild & native trout. Yet random yoy rainbows pop up from time to time, while limited, genetic introgression in brook trout has been documented, and some populations of wild browns simply have to be the result of recent stockings as they weren't there 10, 15, or even 20 years ago.

I've also seen some obvious signs of private hatchery brook trout being successful at reproducing in the wild with "normal" brook trout. Then there's the big Catch & Release/keep em wet/God save all trout push which anglers take to heart and release darn near everything they catch.

To quote the wise and all-knowing Dr. Ian Malcolm ( 😂 ) ~ "Life, uh, finds a way."...

I don’t know if this is all, but a start?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 40
You do know that the invasive Brown and rainbows trout are stocked there for a put and take fishery. So catch them and keep them. Is what the fish comm figures. Just saying not starting nothing with this comment or am I
I don’t know if this is all, but a start?
Thanks for posting, that’s what my pre-Kim search came up with as well. Those seem to be the tip of the iceberg. I know of around 20 in my county alone between agency, co-op, commercial/pay lakes, rod and gun clubs, private property and farm spring ponds. Ya figure 67 counties and god knows how many per county. With hatcheries getting first dibs on some of the best wild native brook trout habitat in the state, getting even one or two of those back on an individual stream basis could be excellent summer thermal refuge and spawning habitat( the upwelling through the gravels they spawn in is important).

Back