How far is your closest wild brook stream?

Jason - You're in college (I'm assuming) right? If so, my advice is you will only get busier as life moves on after college. Fish as much as you can now. Even at its worst, your college class schedule will never equate to a 9-5, 40 hour work week from a time commitment standpoint…And though a job may be advertised as a 40 hour work week, practically speaking, many employers expect and demand more time from their employees than that. Especially if you wish to move up and out compete your peers for promotions.

I went to college in Selinsgrove, PA, on the banks of the best Smallmouth Bass river in the country. Between beer, parties, girls, and everything else I bet I fished a grand total of a half dozen times in the 4 years I was there. You at least seem like you have your priorities (fishing wise) straightened out better than I did at that age. Fish as much as you can. Drive around, explore, rent cheapo tents site at campgrounds and sleep in your car. Most college students work Summer jobs over the Summer, but every free moment you have…go fish!

Once employed, most weeks you’ll be at work Monday through Friday. Sure you can fish on Saturdays and Sundays, but you’ll have to get everything else (outside of work) done on those days too. Some weekends, fishing just isn't in the cards. Sure, you might get 2 or 3 weeks of paid vacation as a new employee. Do you have a girlfriend? If so, you’ll likely find that she’ll have a different idea on how you should best use those vacation days other than fishing…Even more so if she becomes your wife. I don’t have any kids, so I won’t go there, but you get the picture. Fish now man. When you graduate, if being closer to primo fishing spots is important to you, make that a priority in your job searches.

Agree heavily with Swattie...graduated about 4 years ago after going to college in Lewisburg, PA. Should've spent more time fishing the area...althought I made it to Penns quite a bit. Being in a fraternity didn't help with my time management either...But you won't have the time after you graduate when you join the workforce...I work 8 AM to 6 PM (more like 7 to 7 with commute), Mon-Fri and only have two weeks of paid vacation...sucks I can't fish any other time other than weekends and I hate fishing holidays where I'll run into a ton of people on the water. And now with a new girlfriend, I'm having minimal time on the water. My father is retired and says he still doesn't get enough time to fish....

You're in a great area (Philly) with a ton of great fishable water within 2 hours drive North, South, and West. Try to plan out as much as you can (think you already have this down pretty well!) so you can spend as much time on the water and less time in the car or staring at a map book in a parking lot.

I’m 7 miles from Big Spring. Closest mountain Brooke water is 17 miles. N

JasonC wrote:
You guys have no idea how lucky you are to live so close to one of your favorite things to do. With the limited time I have, my only free time is spent fishing for trout and I’m jealous the majority of you can literally drive down the street to wild brook waters.

Jason,
All the interest you have exhibited here on this forum revolves around small stream, wild trout fishing.

You do know that there are other forms of fly fishing(?).

One of the points I make time and time again to beginning FFers is not to limit your mind - learn to "think outside the trout box." Folks who live in and around the big PA cities have many more and better options for warm water fishing. If I lived in Philly, I'd forget about trout (most of he time) and focus on warm water.....not to mention the Jersey shore, where I'd be every weekend this time of year.

There's more to FFing than trout.

Oh yea, I know there are many more species to FF for, in both warm and cold water and PA has excellent fishing for pretty much all freshwater species. I just happen to enjoy trout fishing the best, followed quite closely by bass fishing.

I currently am in a Doctorate program, work full time (12 hours, every Friday, Saturday, Sunday) as I am a RN, currently separated so I have my kids (2 and 3 years old) on the weekdays I don’t work. On top of the kids, I have clinical hour requirements to fulfill as well as classes on Wednesdays for school. So right now, my time is extremely limited...one would say nonexistent.

My first college degree is from Penn State and I spent the final 2 years of the program at State College. Like Brad, I did the whole college fun thing and never went fishing once out there. I’m kicking myself for it now. I even remember when we drove around off-campus through all the little towns and rural areas how I would think to myself, “I bet that little trickle of a stream has some fantastic fishing.” Oh to go back...

But I thank you for all your advice and tips and pointers, it is greatly appreciated and trust me when I say, it doesn’t fall on deaf ears.

Haha, yeah, that’s a full plate for sure. Wrong assumption on my part, my apologies. Was going off context clues from some of your other posts. Fish when ya can, and make the most of it, all you can do.

30 minutes, which is too long considering how close the other wild trout streams are to where I live. I could if I wanted to walk to Saucon Creek in 10 minutes if I wanted to catch wild browns, but I don't fish for wild browns except by accident.

If I pre rig my rod and drive to the right hole at the right time I can be on brook trout in the 10"-14" class in 12-15 minutes.

Drive up to 1 hour I could catch bigger if I'm lucky

I have to drive about 90 minutes at least to get to a wild brook trout stream. Every time I go to one its always a great adventure. Worth the time.

Aducker wrote:

I have to drive about 90 minutes at least to get to a wild brook trout stream. Every time I go to one its always a great adventure. Worth the time.

Send me a PM if you want a few to check out with half that drive time.

at least an hour for me... have good wild brown fisheries within 40 mins. Stocker stream, 15 mins.

Reading all of these responses makes me so happy that I live where I live. I've said it before, if I had travel times like lots of you guys I'd either take up another hobby or just fish for bass and whatnot more, which I all ready do a lot of.

But, back to the brookie question, how about I just say as short as nearly possible. I've got a multitude of wild brown trout streams and brookie streams within 15 minutes, but some of the brookie streams are really close. I at least have to drive 10 mins for wild brownies.

outsider wrote:
So if he said he fished bait for trout with worms it would be OK to pass on information on a fly fishing forum? Or if it was found out that he kills native brook trout it would be OK to pass on information?

People of all kinds love to fish for trout. If you are a bait fisherman and truly respect the fish and the environment then so be it, get out there and have fun. Equally if you harvested a brookie over 7 inches from a Class A water then so be it, you did not break the laws that the PFBC put in place with what they proposed as a "proper management plan." Let's not act like pompous elitists who never accidentally kill a fish or hook one too deep and would never harvest one and then go and order a wild salmon fillets in a restaurant.

Still so jealous of all that live within a short drive of brookie streams. I’d certainly go as often as possible if I only had to drive 15 mins or less. At least I have a brownie stream that’s a closeish drive. I just marvel at the beauty of brook trout and the streams they’re mostly found in.

Around 2 miles from me. 2 class a brookie creeks, a class a brown creek, and a heavily stocked creek and lake. All less than 5 minutes of driving.

About a five minute walk in any direction. I rarely fish these trickles. The big water is just as close.

live in brookie heaven here,

Walk out the door, get on the atv, hit the trail and fishing for natives in a few minutes.

Only a 5 min walk for some browns and 10 minute drive for some brookies!

Back