How do you tye your Scuds?

Jeremi

Jeremi

Tying up a lot of Scuds. Was wondering how many people just weight them with lead, dub, then pick out the legs on the underside. Leaving out things like tail, rib, shell back, or antenna.

I tie them with lead, dubbing, shellback, and rib. I pick out the dubbing for legs.

Same as above.

JH

Curved hook 14-18
tie in antron for tail (I trim it when fly is finished)
tie in wire (gold, copper, or silver)
for dubbing, I start with gray and I prefer it to be buggy. I'll mix in either olive, or orange with the gray dubbing.
I also take a wire brush and make it look leggy or buggy.
I just recently started using a few turns of lead for weight.
When I started making scuds, I tied other peoples impression and ended up taking a little from each person's to make my own.

I used to tie the Oliver Edwards scud, which is a pretty cool pattern:

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/oeddshrimp/pic.php?id=2320

For the last five years I've lived in central PA and I lose way too many so I now tie a much lazier version. Basically its just wire rib + thin skin back + SLF squirrel dubbing spun in a dubbing loop. It is more enjoyable to me to tie the more realistic pattern, but it takes a lot more time and the fish do not seem care either way.

Easiest way to do it is get a guard hair + synthetic + little flash dubbing, dub the body. whip finish. velcro bottom of the fly. hold and pull all fibers down to below the hook. Heat back of fly with lighter

I just filmed a video. I'll try and upload it and post it for you by tonight.

I tie the Oliver Edwards scud and I love it, I like the partridge for the legs and tails , better action.

I'm just weighting with lead, dubbing and picking the legs out with velcro. Using Awesome Opossum for dull scuds. Sow Scud dubbing on some flashy guys.

I prefer ostrich (trimmed on top), scud back and thread ribbing with lead weight.

Matter of fact this is the only scud pattern I've ever caught fish with.

I'm just weighting with lead, dubbing and picking the legs out with velcro. Using Awesome Opossum for dull scuds. Sow Scud dubbing on some flashy guys.

I do antennae, lead, dub (mixed , grey and olive), and fine copper wire ribs. I use plastic baggies for shellback.

Pick out the dubbing when done. Simple - but i'm always looking for simpler methods...often i skip the antennae. I catch fish with and without them - not sure it makes a difference or not.

Also - sometimes skip the lead if i don't want it weighted (sometimes i like to fish with weight in the fly, sometimes in the splitshot only with weightless flies).

you can always use an epoxy as a shell back ....

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxRn6vzlZLU[/youtube]

Nice Gaeronf! I'll have to try the lighter trick. Good stuff. Thanks.

That is an interesting move with the lighter. I will give that a try too. Thanks Gaeronf.

I originally learned this from JU. After all it is his dubbing I use. It's got the synthetic natural and a little flash blend in it. It's awesome. lol. I've learned so much from him!

That's a nice scud. What I like best about it is that it's down right simple. It's amazing how many people I run into on Falling Spring who don't know they are must have. It's the fly I tie on for my 5 year old son and he's done well for his age and ability.

Any of you guys tied scuds with CDC ? Ive seen pictures online , it looks good but have not used it in the scud patterns I tie.

I tye 3 patterns main one I use is the same as listed by many above: curved hook, homemade dubbing blend, mono rib, plastic bag strip overback. Dubbing blend is teased out and trimmed for legs. Sizes 16-20. No weight though. Supposedly weighting a curved shank hook makes it flip over-can anybody confirm this?

Other two patterns:
Microscud: 22-24 curved shank, ostrich hurl body. FFP olive sparkle yarn shell. Extra simple for small fly.
Atomic Shrimp: size 14 with weighting wire for an achor fly. Scud dubbing blend body, palmered ostrich hurl, fine wire rib, and pearl film shell. Very flashy attractor.

Back