how do you know

I can tie any fly poorly just by looking at a picture. A recipe and instructions are nice, but the chance of me having all the specified materials is minimal and the chance of me going to buy something just for a particular pattern are even less. Flies are suggestive and that's all they need to be for me to find a way to have fun with them. Are you having fun yet?

Amen Jack:

Biggest trout of the year for me came on this. Tying flies is kinda like cooking, Recipes are different each time I make something.

I will add that every fly Jay has ever given me has produced fish. The Paraweenie being the best.

Attachments

• sowbug.jpg
    sowbug.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 3
Bruno,

I demand details. You catch more fish on my flies than I do.

You cant be serious man I busted up laughing when I seen this fly with dryer lint man I about fell outta the chair. But hey if it worls great. And oh yeah as of right now at 4:55:06 p.m. I checked we have gotten exactly one inch of rain today and .90 of it came in the last hour. That will get the creeks muddy for days this sucks guess I am hanging my fly ord up for a few. Ok so how many fish have you caught on that fly.

Caught 3 on Spring Creek with that fly. Including a very nice brown that I am guessing went 17in when compaired to the markings on my rod. I also picked up several nice rainbows on oil creek last weekend using that fly. I have tied up a couple more using cigarette cellophane in place of the plastic bag.

Lots of fly tying material is just repackaged stuff from other places.

Antron = carpet fiber
Furry foam = cheap hotel blankets
crystal flash = tinsel
Roadkill = fur patches

If you stick it in a little bag and put a trout on the package then they can sell you .02 worth or product for 5 bucks. I forget who gave me a bunch of cat fur at the jam three years ago for dubbing. I am still using it and I have tied more flies than I can count with it.

My new go to fly is a caddis pupa that Dave tied using a green latex Therapy Band. ( actually all of the laytex flies are producers) I guess my point is that a recipe is a lose guide. Look around and experiment. Plus you can do some dumb stuff with the Therapy Bands at work when you are bored. Maybe one of us will be the next Bob Clouser.

Back