House Bill 2235, Marcellus on State Forest Lands

How can the future be bright if we have no place to fish in 30 years? That is an exaggeration, but you get the point. This private land thing has taken many miles of trout water from us already. Do you really believe that is going to get any better? I doubt it.

We might be thinking smarter about the environment, but our world is way too populated. Buildings are being built everywhere around our trout streams and that is not helping. PA has changed so much in 20 years. What do you think it will look like in 50 years?

I agree that access and development is a huge issue. I just don't see the economic incentive to develop all of these rural areas. There aren't enough jobs there as it is. Hopefully I'm right, or at the very least, hopefully we start to think better about developing around sensitive areas.

I agree. We need to cut back with the urban development. I hope I am wrong, but I think PA is going to one big concrete slab eventually. It might not happen in our lifetime, but it will happen here before other areas of the US. Look at the Poconos. Once a very beautiful area. Now it still has its areas, but a lot of it is getting built up. We just won't have the room for all these people and trout to coexist.

Complaining about overpopulation is like complaining about crowded trout streams. We all feel there are too many of us, but no one wants to volunteer to leave.

I agree with Jay from a lot of pollution concerns. Things are getting better. From regulation of dirty industry, to acid rain, to cleaning up mine acid sources, etc. Good stuff.

Lately those improvements have outpaced development. But development won't be stopped. And I've always held that a rapid increase in development, not pollution, is the real danger behind Marcellus. Well pads are bad enough, with the mud and resulting siltation that comes with. But there's going to be a lot of roadwork, improving the existing roads as well as building dirt and gravel roads throughout the landscape. New bridges. Money is going to pour into small rural towns. Not everyone will get their payday, but they will see their towns grow quickly around them with new residential districts and especially chain stores, restaurants, hotels, etc. Boomtowns = development. I'm less concerned about the catastrophic "poisoning of waterways", which will happen somewhere, but rarely, and the exception rather than the rule. I'm more concerned about good old fashioned development.

I'd appreciate it if we could keep this thread to the topic of House Bill 2235.

There are many other threads already going on the general discussion of Marcellus topics. And big picture questions about the state of the environment and the future of flyfishing are far off the topic of HB 2235 and could be discussed in seperate threads.

I agree with ya troutbert. I've sent e-mails to both senators near me, don't know which one actually represents my district, but I figured hitting both can't hurt. haven't heard anything back from them though, which kinda pisses me off. not even the e-mail auto reply!

Biker,

The tool troutbert linked to will tell you which senator is yours.

I am not seeing the link to contact your senator, only the house?

riverwhy wrote:
I am not seeing the link to contact your senator, only the house?

Go to this link, and just put in your zip code. It gives you contact info for both your legislators in the House and Senate.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/find.cfm

I think it would be good to have that link in a permanent stickie post at the top of Conservation board, so that people could always find it, to contact their legislators on any conservation issue.

I know who my legislators are but was referring to the the Penn Future site and figured they had a quick response link to voice support for the Marcellus bill.
Jay P

BTW, I posted a recent update from TU in a separate thread not realizing this one existed. House Bill 2235 bill passed the House and now moves on the Senate. If you have not voiced your opinion on this matter please do so. I believe the gulf oil spill certainly brings to light the potential environmental issues of drilling gone wrong.

Developing story:

Jun 4, 2010 11:58 am US/Eastern Marcellus Shale Well Blowout Prompts EvacuationsLAWRENCE TOWNSHIP (KDKA) ―

There is a developing story out of Clearfield County involving Marcellus Shale drilling and evacuations.

According to an official with Clearfield County's Emergency Services, authorities are evacuating part of the state forest in Lawrence Township after a Marcellus Shale well blowout.

It happened Thursday night.

No one was hurt, but the blowout is still not contained.

Natural gas and thousands of gallons of untreated water are spewing from the well.

Officials are continuing the process of trying to contain the site.

Stay with KDKA for the latest details.

(© MMX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Jack,

Can you provide a link? I like to share these articles, and copy/paste is insufficient.

go to KDKA website and click on local news

John

Thanks.

http://kdka.com/local/Marcellus.Shale.drilling.2.1732715.html

here is another...

http://hosted2.ap.org/PAGRE/0a89e7b56b4a4012884cd23a6b24dcc7/Article_2010-06-04-Gas%20Well%20Emergency/id-6845b993702347c6a52acd87f68002cf

If you're concerned, contact your legislators.

Go to this link, and just put in your zip code. It gives you contact info for both your legislators in the House and Senate.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/find.cfm

Back