hot spots

C

c_nesbella

I am was looking for other peoples opinion on tying "hot spots" into flies. Personally I feel I have more success tying the fly without a hot spot and keeping the colors more natural. But that's just me what's everyone elses opinion on the matter?
If you favor a "hot spot". Where do you get most success tying it in?

The Euro nymphing / competitive FFers fish nymphs with hot spots all the time.

I tie my heaviest flies with red thread, my medium weight flies with yellow thread, and my no weight flies with thread to match the body color. The red and yellow thread flies essentially have hot spots.

I use these flies interchangeably all day, depending on how much weight I need to get the fly down, and I cannot say whether the colored thread flies work better (or worse) than the natural ones.

Like every else in fishing, I suppose there are times when hot spots may help, and times where they may hurt.

I have had times when a hot spot tied on the fly to match an egg mass on spinners or egg-laying caddis has worked well.

I have had some dynamite days using frenchies, so I have to say I am a believer in hot spots. I dont tie them exclusively, but I do tie them in a lot of my patterns.

I use them in my euro type flies alot..Mostly in the center area..

I use them in most of the nymphs I tie.

Attachments

• flies.JPG
    flies.JPG
    434.4 KB · Views: 5
I tie hot spots on some of my Zebra midges. They are definitely not my "go to" Zebras but I use them kind of like a change up on picky fish. They do occasionally hook me up with some of these fish so I would consider them effective at times. I never tied or used hot spots on any of my traditional nymph patterns.

Back