Hooks?

E

Earthdog

I am tired of tying a dozen or so flys from a little pack. Is there anyplace that you recomend to buy hooks in bulk . At least a couple dozen at a time,

Bass Pro Shops has Mustad hooks in rather large quantities. Their prices are very good, too.

Just about any shop worth anything will carry 25 and 100 packs of hooks, at least in the most popular types and sizes. Try checking out local shops:

http://www.flyfishersparadiseonline.com/

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/

If you can, stay away from the big box stores like Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. The reason you are asking this very question is because these places are putting the shops with people who know what they are talking about and have local knowledge out of business. Hope that helps.

All the small shops went out of business in Lancaster :( I was a regular at The Evening Rise in Lancaster. I agree 100% with Hooch - go to the small shops where they really want and need your business!!

I have in the past owned my own small business. My employees were me , myself and I.
I have faced the difficulty of the big guys undercutting me and have determined that I would support the little guy as much as possible.It would be a lie to say I have never purchased something at the big box stores but each day I ask myself on the purchase of any items. " Can I buy it from the small guy"? Can I buy american" ? Even if it costs me more. I recently looked at a rod in a small fly shop. I could get it for about 30 bucks cheaper at the big box store. I told the fly shop that I would save alittle more.
I live where its up to Harrisburg area or down to Maryland to fly shop.
Its allways an issue of gas costs Vs. postage costs.
I am semi retired so the wallet has to be watched closely.
My fishing /hunting expenses are paid out of hand turned bowls ,,vases etc.

www.thefishguy.com This guy has 5 bucks for 100 hooks. I wasn't sure at first but this guy will get my money from now on. Nothing wrong with them, they work as well as any other, I'm sold.

Willscreek: my God that guy is cheap!!!! Thanks for the info, I'm going to give him a try!!!

Another hook company you want to try is Montana Fly Company's hooks. They have a wide selection styles and sizes and their prices are very competetive. I just started tying with them and have found them to be great.

willscreek wrote:
www.thefishguy.com This guy has 5 bucks for 100 hooks. I wasn't sure at first but this guy will get my money from now on. Nothing wrong with them, they work as well as any other, I'm sold.

These prices look great. I would just like to see a better description of the hooks. For example, what is the difference between #FG80250 and #FG71470?

I would like to give him a try.

Give John Warakomski ( www.JWTrout.com ) a look. I get hooks by the hundreds from him.

BPS in Harrisburg actually had very few Mustad hooks in stock. They have the White River hooks, Daiichi, and are now carrying a large assortment of Eagle Claw fly tying hooks. I was told by the shop personnel that there were some "business issues" with Mustad as far as being sold, then not sold, etc. I bought a pack of #12 Eagle Claw hooks to tie up some inchworms and they appear to be good quality. The Eagle Claw hooks are made in the USA FWIW...

Sadly, the only game in town for me if I want materials is to order online or go to BPS since The Evening Rise closed up.

things i like about eagle claws usa made ,sharp as they should be ,packs of 100 things i dislike. sizing is large,shank finish is rough,eyes are questionable. still they make some great streamer hooks (just not the fly fishing hooks i use their alberdeen hooks)

It's funny you mention those things, because after just cranking out a bunch of flies with them, I did see many of the things you mention. There was some surface irregularity on the shank, the eyes, etc. I'm not sure if I'll stick with them or not, but they fit the bill for now.

TCO has their own brand of hooks at a good price. Just bought some, didn't try them yet. I think hooks are the biggest rip-off in fly tying. Way over-priced. Not the fault of the fly shops.

Back