Hook'in up with Bluegills

Have to agree with the above posts about the bigger gills moving out. I fished the local lake a few nights ago and got steady action tight to shore on small gills and micro perch. Oh, did get a respectable bass, though. I actually caught bigger gills casting out in the deeper water on poppers, but only a few.

Also discovered an ant dropper (sinking) with a popper got a silly no. of hits. The wind kicked up at dark and killed the popper bite and I still landed a couple gills on the ant and missed more as I was working back to my hike out spot. Since I have tieed some less dainty ones on a no.12 wet fly hook.

I have to agree based on the evidence. Hope to try Ants soon.

In addition, the bigger BG have been around awhile and can get fussy. Sometimes need to change tactics since that learn just as well as an old brown trout

I met a guy on a local pond tonight and he was using bully spiders for bluegills.
He had a re-purposed bamboo rod that was switched to spinning reels. he fishes flies in the pond with casing bobbers.
interesting.

by Baron on 2020/7/14 1:20:10

I met a guy on a local pond tonight and he was using bully spiders for bluegills.
He had a re-purposed bamboo rod that was switched to spinning reels. he fishes flies in the pond with casing bobbers.
interesting.

Before I took up fly fishing. I would use a small twister tail jig under a bobber. Toss it out and slowly retrieve it. Generally, I think it depends on the lake. A cold water lake like the one I'm headed to later this week. It has lake trout will probably have big pan fish around docks and weeds when I get there, I hope. My best day on Shohola last year came during the last week of June. I caught 36 Bluegill and a 14 inch bass in about 2 hours. All the bluegill were in the 7 to 10 inch range. You can see the area I was fishing, in about 4 feet of water. Weeds were a little heavier than they appear in the picture.

Attachments

• P6260439_2.jpg
    P6260439_2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 5
JerryC wrote:
by Baron on 2020/7/14 1:20:10

interesting.

Before I took up fly fishing. I would use a small twister tail jig under a bobber. Toss it out and slowly retrieve it. Generally, I think it depends on the lake. A cold water lake like the one I'm headed to later this week. It has lake trout will probably have big pan fish around docks and weeds when I get there, I hope. My best day on Shohola last year came during the last week of June. I caught 36 Bluegill and a 14 inch bass in about 2 hours. All the bluegill were in the 7 to 10 inch range. You can see the area I was fishing, in about 4 feet of water. Weeds were a little heavier than they appear in the picture.

So that lake will be a warm water lake? I really get confused sometimes with describing lakes. Generally, so far in my short FF experience, I have found that lakes friendly to resident trout are generally clear, cold and unfriendly to large bluegills. It will be interesting to hear what type of panfish you find. Wishing you a 5 lb pickerel.

Back