Hook sizes

T

Troutmeister

I was watching some tying videos on Youtube recently and was wondering why tiers go to such small hook sizes and then use a 3x long hook. Case in point a guy was tying a size 22 pheasant tail but then used a 3x long hook. In this case the finished fly was probably the same length as a size 16 or 18.

Seems to me that fly size, silhouette, length is the important part and by using a 3x long hook you are upsizing the fly by 3 sizes and losing the hooking ability because of the smaller hook gap.

Help me out here, what am I missing?

it’s the same reason a poem was written on a pinhead. so you can say you tie and fish your PT nymphs down to a size 22.

As you go down in hook sizes, the thickness of the wire also decreases. If you tied a size 22 with 3x long hooks, your end result would be a size 18 in physical size, but it would be on the thinner wire of the size 22.

I'm not sure why you would WANT a larger fly on a thinner wire. I've only ever seen an advantage in tying hooks the opposite way, say on 3x short hooks in order to get stronger flies in smaller sizes.

As you go down in hook sizes, the thickness of the wire also decreases. If you tied a size 22 with 3x long hooks, your end result would be a size 18 in physical size, but it would be on the thinner wire of the size 22.
You use a size 18 3X fine, although I'm with you; I'd go for the heavier wire.

Heavier wire, and also the larger hook gap for increased hookups.

Back