hook size question

F

fishngun

I have question regarding hook sizes. There are plenty of patterns out there that call for a 2x or 3x long hook. I'm primarily thinking along the lines of dry flies, but it can go for nymphs as well. My question is, instead of using a size 10 2xl hook, could I simply seat a size 8 hook in the vises jaws and be good to go? I see the increased hook gap as a bonus and generally speaking those flies calling for a longer hook are bigger patterns with plenty of hackle to float the larger hook anyway. Is there anywhere that I can get the information about which larger hook size a 2x or 3x long hook of smaller proportions would equate to?

You're making an apples to oranges comparison when you try to equate a longer hook of any size to a hook one size larger with a shorter shank. I think you need to hold a #10 2xl beside a #8 standard shank length and you'll see the difference.

yo fis

It depends a lot on the hook manufacturer and model, but my rule of thumb is that a #10 2XL would have the hook shank length of 2 sizes larger, ie a #8. A long time ago I used a lab scale to weigh the differences. The standard hooks then were pre-Tiemco et al (Mustads). In general, the larger #8 in was heavier than the 2XL #10, assuming their standard weight hook gauges.

I started a similar topic a few weeks back. I agree with your thinking and started using more standard length hooks. If you want a longer hook you go to the next size and benefit from the wider hook gape. My issue with tying on 2x long hooks was not having enough gap between the material and hook. It can lead to poor hook-ups. There are times, for instance, streamers, that you will want longer hooks.

I think your more tempted to make the body of the fly bigger due to the hook gap size. It just may look a little unporportional.

Back