Hook/Fly Storage

jdaddy

jdaddy

Redsun get credit for scoping out this dude at Harbor Freight today. It's storage box system that has 24 individual containers located inside. Its 9l x 6w x 2"thick. The individual containers inside are 2" x 2" x 1" thick. They are about the size of the Partridge hook boxes. These boxes would be great for hooks, beads, etc. They keep everything easily accessible but don't dump out all over the place if you kid opens the box and drop it!

$5. 20% coupons available 365 days per year.

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-container-storage-box-90243.html

Attachments

• HF box.jpg
    HF box.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 13
Not bad, got something similar a couple weeks back at a craft shop for bead storage.

so 24 little containers inside one big one?

I have to check that out the next time I'm there.
Thanks for the tip.

Another place to find small plastic storage boxes for cheap is the drug store, like a CVS. The pill section always has various snap-top boxes, typically divided into individual snap compartments so that people on pill regimens can divide and time their dosages (like 7 compartments for 7-day supply, 4 for breakfast/lunch/supper/bedtime). Sometimes they're marked on top, but big deal. They're dirt cheap, like $1 to $4. Great pocket storage boxes, deep enough for dry flies, and they float. You can glue foam or poly yarn in the bottom for hook keeping ability.

I've had expensive fly boxes before, like spring compartment boxes and those foam divider types. I'm over it. The only exception is those C&R midge boxes with the threaders, for small flies.

Speaking of threaders, it's a good idea to pick up a couple at a sewing supply store, or a craft store like Michael's. It's also good to carry a bodkin in order to clear hook eyes, although a good-size streamer hook basically works just as well.

I'm a fan of carrying multiple backup tools on the stream, like tweezers/ scissors. I don't have to guess which pocket I left my scissors in when I have a pair in every pocket. And I carry two hook sharpeners, and two pairs of needle nose pliers.

You're a well equipped man barbless. I'm lucky if I have a pair of forceps with me on the stream. My teeth do most of the work...

I just found this thread in the archives I nearly posted a question about how to best store hooks and beads for fly tying, but figured I'd make sure it wasn't already covered. This seems like a really economical option! I bought a couple of them - the link is still working. The only thing they may not work for is streamer hooks, but I can deal with that. I don't have many of those anyway.

These are pretty cool too. They're small, hinged, modular plastic storage boxes that can snap together to make larger multi-compartment boxes.
https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/221

11529-01_small.jpg

11528-01_small.jpg

11527-01_small.jpg

11530-01_small.jpg

11527_11528_11529_11530-02_medium.jpg

I picked up Rimax four tier rack of removable trays at Home depot a few years ago. Next to it were extra spare trays and I was able to get the whole set-up with a few extra trays for about $21.

Attachments

• newboxes.jpg
    newboxes.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 4
Dave that looks good too. I browsed the one from harbor freight that jdaddy pictured but ended up getting a standard divided box from them. I'd like to have one I can label the pattern and hook size so I can be a bit more organized when trying to figure out what I ha e versus what I need to tie. Also easier to grab one bos labeled "sulphurs" and toss it in the car.

gfen wrote:
Not bad, got something similar a couple weeks back at a craft shop for bead storage.

What he said

dkile wrote:
I picked up Rimax four tier rack of removable trays at Home depot a few years ago. Next to it were extra spare trays and I was able to get the whole set-up with a few extra trays for about $21.

Dave I went and bought two of these when you first posted about them. One of my better investments. Thanks!

Back