Holiday Swap?

Cool man sounds like a nice swap. Get your flies done on time, don't be " that guy"!

Just for a clarification, do soft hackles == wet files (http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/bergman/)?

I am planning on tying a Royal Coachman Soft Hackle if I can get hold of the wing feathers, it might differ from a traditional royal coachman if I can not get all the material I need.

Soft hackle is a type of wet fly, the other being a winged variety with quill slip wings.

Most quill wing wets have soft hackle throats, and many modern tiers of quill slip wings use rolled soft hackle fibers for better movement in the water, instead a preserved pinned example of insect life.

When people say "soft hackle" its generally meant to include any fly with a full collar of soft, webby hackle wound around the thorax.

Not a soft hackle:
IMGP4038.jpg

Yes a soft hackle:
IMGP4059.jpg

Technically not, but hen fibers will feature more lifelike movement than the quill slip example up above:
IMGP4062.jpg

(all examples from here)

Does anyone care with regards to this swap? Not my call, however there is a definitive difference between the various flies.

Caddis Pupa Soft Hackle for me.

black hackle dark flash dub body red rib gold butt looks kinda purple hazeish but isn't as light don't know if they have names but they work for me and i hope they do for you

I will play if there is room,

I'll play too. Sulpher Soft Hackle if it hasnt already be spoken for.

I'll tie a royal coachman soft hackle.

Back