Hmm why?

mute

mute

I was fishing this stream and theres alot of big trout still surviving it, even a pallie. But to get to the point, i fished it at 12:30-1pm. and i must of landed about 5 fish and lost like 3. I wanted to go abck with my friend to show him what trout fishing is really like, since he never experienced it. We went at 4:45, we didint have a single bite for 2 hours. The only reasoning i can think of is because the time frame the water warmed up to its peak and they just didnit feel like moving?

Trout often bite for short periods of time, and then shut down. A lot of the time first and last light are best, but there are often good periods in between. I'm wondering if you went back and fished over the same fish you schooled earlier, or fished over new recruits. Also if you are fishing a small stream (say Stony or similar) and it has has a recent fish derby, the trout are generally being pounded without mercy. Initially, you will often do well on flies, especially if the fish are used to seeing other baits. Of course, the more you fish over the same areas the more conditioned the fish become. That usually translates to lighter tippet in short order, followed by a stealthier approach. I would make it a point to try the same general area in evening; if there is any kind of hatch you will have a big advantage over the average joe. Good Luck!

Yea i was fishing hares ears and pheasant tails. And it was in the evening when i went back, but at around 1pm there were atleast sporatic rises every few minutes. And i was getting tons of strikes underneath. And three and a half hour later, nothing. Which is why i thought water temps.

Temperature can play a big role, as can the hatches. I have experienced similar situations, where you are doing well midday, and stay till dark, even though you told the wife otherwise. Turns out the evening hatch didn't really come off, or else the fish were happily fed already. I almost always keep a cheap thermometer in my gear; this time of year it can save you from wasting time if the water is too warm. If it hits 70, I beat feet. We're in a hot spell now; probably as soon as this breaks, the fishing will generally improve on all the local freestone streams.

Back