HMH STANDARD VICE

H

hectortmc

HAS ANYONE USED ONE? WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT

Yep, I have one. It's a very well made vise, guaranteed for life (including the jaws). It has a longer chassis design than the Spartan, and this makes for more room to position your hand when tying materials in.

The quick change jaws are a plus, and their midge jaws are the best on the market.

My only beef with it is that the hook adjustment setting needs to be readjusted after several of the same size hooks are tied on. No big deal, and takes a fraction of a second.

The jaws grip well - the omni jaw it comes with will work fine for all but the extremes of hook ranges. They're very durable, and don't deform at all, as long as you insert the hook one hook thickness inside the edge of the jaw, or more.

I have a Renzetti, HMH, Regal, and Dyna King, and the HMH would be my favorite, but I like the true rotary capability of my Renzetti better...

I received one for Xmas and have been tyng on it since then. I am very happy with it and would buy it again. Quality is very high. The orvis shop in Bethesda MD is doing a clearance and has one with the clamp for 50% off.

I have one and really like it.
I bought the midge jaws for my HMH to go along with the standard jaws.
They are a very well made vise.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

(sorry I couldn't resist)

Thanks for getting back to me. :)

where did you all get your midge jaws from? I need them and a bobbin holder.

These guys are awesome:

http://www.bearsden.com/page503.html

That's cheaper than I got mine for. :roll:

HMH's bobbin cradle is kind of cheesy - it's a plastic "square" with screws and a stainless wire. This one is much nicer (all brass), and cheaper, too.

If you get a small o-ring that fits snugly on the shaft of your vise, you can rest the bobbin cradle base on it, and flip it out of the way easily, without it sliding up or down...

Tony - Found this on fleabay...

HMH midge jaws.

Free shipping is a good thing, too.

I have one and love it. It's a great vise.

I have several vices including an HMH. I use it the most of any. As mentioned get the midge jaws as well for small flies.

HA
Thanks for the link. That fleabay price is great with free shipping. I am confused on the bobbin holder. Which ne are you recommending? The one it the combo set at Bears den. That one looks like a HMH model.

I've got both bobbin holders that HA linked to. As he says the one in the bear's den link isn't too good. The thread hops off the round plastic holder at the slightest touch.

Agreed, Franklin.

The ebay jaws, and the Feathercraft bobbin cradle are the way to fly (no pun intended).

I used to have that nice Feathercraft bobbin cradle, but I gave it to LRSABecker with his starter vise. I don't use a bobbin cradle with my HMH, since I don't use it for rotary tying.

I also have the background plate, and use it for photographing flies.

I was considering the background plate for my bad eyes. I have found that if I place a white piece of paper behind the fly I can see much better. Do you like any of the color plates better than others?

tracker12 wrote:
I was considering the background plate for my bad eyes. I have found that if I place a white piece of paper behind the fly I can see much better. Do you like any of the color plates better than others?

I don't use the background plate while I tie.

A good trick to use if you DO need one, is to buy a pack of assorted color construction paper at a craft store, and cut it to fit the background plate. A paper clamp (those black clamps with the chrome folding arms) holds it on the plate nicely. Depending on the color of the fly, you should be able to find a color that gives good contrast...

Heritage-Angler wrote:
tracker12 wrote:

I don't use the background plate while I tie.

A good trick to use if you DO need one, is to buy a pack of assorted color construction paper at a craft store, and cut it to fit the background plate. A paper clamp (those black clamps with the chrome folding arms) holds it on the plate nicely. Depending on the color of the fly, you should be able to find a color that gives good contrast...

I have the backing plates as well. I find them a pain to use while tying. Restricts access to the vice for various tying operations. My eyes are degrading as well. I find that using reading glasses with lots of light at various positions works best. In the winter I tie in the family room using a cheap Wallymart pole lamp with three bulbs. In the basement I have several large florescent fixtures to flood the area.

Went to JoAnns this afternoon and bought an OttLite with natural light on sale for $29.00 and what a difference it made for me. Much better than the basement floresent light.

Back