Historical data re: stream temps

J

JasonC

Can anyone point me in the right direction or provide a link of where I can find historical data regarding temps of specific streams? What specifically I’m looking for is water temps but monthly averages for past years. Any help is appreciated!

Some USGS gauges record temps and you can set up a search for specific dates. You can specify different ways to present the data such as a graph or tabulated data. Here's a graph of Kettle Creek for the last three years.

47sDKLMl.png

Thanks! I have to play with it a bit to get the specs right but that’s exactly what I need, thank you! Anyone know why water temps are not recorded for Valley? Seems like the gauge used to record characteristics for that stream would have the capability to.

JasonC wrote:
Thanks! I have to play with it a bit to get the specs right but that’s exactly what I need, thank you! Anyone know why water temps are not recorded for Valley? Seems like the gauge used to record characteristics for that stream would have the capability to.

Most of the PA USGS gauges do not record temps. Some used to and don't any longer. I don't know why this is (budget cuts?). I wish they all recorded temps as this would be highly valuable.

I have some of my own data that I've gathered on some of my local trout streams for sections during very hot or cold days and sometimes I can match this with published studies.

Why not make it a point in your future explorations to take a thermometer and take some temps at different sections during various weather conditions?
Not all trout streams warm as you move in a downstream direction (although this is usually the case).

What is your goal?

Dave_W wrote:
JasonC wrote:

Most of the PA USGS gauges do not record temps. Some used to and don't any longer. I don't know why this is (budget cuts?). I wish they all recorded temps as this would be highly valuable.

I have some of my own data that I've gathered on some of my local trout streams for sections during very hot or cold days and sometimes I can match this with published studies.

Why not make it a point in your future explorations to take a thermometer and take some temps at different sections during various weather conditions?
Not all trout streams warm as you move in a downstream direction (although this is usually the case).

I believe you're right on the budget cuts. Every once in a while the gauge on the Cassellman river will talk about discontinuing the service if a new funding partner is not found. Dave gave you great advice about carrying a thermometer, finding spots are that are a little colder during the warmer months, or a little warmer during the winter can really pay off.

correct. I contacted USGS a number of years ago when temperature reading was discontinued on another stream. The main cost, I was told, is associated with managing the data. I found that surprising considering they were collecting other parameters. A few years back the LJRA inquired about getting turbity and temperature at the spruce creek gage. The cost of equipment and maintenance wasn't the issue. It was what they quoted us for data uploading, management etc. I was surprised. Much higher than what it would cost if we arrange for a less official measurement (see below) and less than it cost Blair county to set up monitoring. What I figured out is that USGS measurements and data are official government numbers which have different requirements for accuracy, archiving and validation (you might have seen the manual measurement markers on the graphs).

Efforts to get realtime monitoring on the J are ongoing- temperature, turbidity O2 etc. Data management is a major issue. The cost of and time required for maintaining the turbidity meter is also high. Finding a secure place for the equipment is not as easy as you would think.

I figured it had to with costs but wasn't sure exactly what costs, but the technology part of it makes sense.

I just wanted to look at monthly stream flow and temp trends throughout the past decade or so.

You can pick up some additional data from SRBC on certain streams, many which are not monitored by the USGS:

https://mdw.srbc.net/remotewaterquality/data_viewer.aspx

As a proxy for streams with no long-term temp data, you could look at the wild trout streams list. Most, but not all streams that stay cool to cold in Pa, support wild trout to some extent. Major exceptions include degraded limestoners and streams receiving mine acid drainage. Since most wild trout streams on the list were automatically designated as such to the headwaters, the upstream limits of cool to cold temps were masked in some cases, as not all streams that support wild trout are cold in their very headwaters. Think of streams that drain swamps or originate in ponds. The downstream limit, however, was not masked. Streams that were cool enough to support wild trout within a half mile of their mouths were designated as wild trout streams to their mouths. Streams that did not support wild trout to within a half mile of their mouths had specific lower limits designated, which then tells the observant angler where the cool to cold stretch of a given stream is generally located, or at least where to start looking during the summer. Note that some large or wider streams, such as Penns, are seasonally warm in portions of their wild trout stretches and the fish just move upstream. As I said, the lower limit of a designated wild trout stretch is a good place to start looking, or a good place to stay above when searching for cool to cold temps.

Back