Hip Waders

JVenezia

JVenezia

Wondering what everyone's input is on a mid grade won't break the bank Hip Wader.... I have seen so many brands and different pricing my head is spinning...
Looking to spend up to say $60.

So if you all can throw your two cents in it would be greatly appreciated.

You will not find breathable hip waders in that price range. As a matter of fact, many vendors don't sell them at all. Simms, Orvis, Dan Bailey's to mention a few. I have seen these:
http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/product-category/waders-hippies/

I have a pair of Dan Bailey's that I have had for 5 years. They recently leaked and I was able to patch them.

I have heard Hodgeman sells them.

The heavy rubber ones will work if you don't mind sweating in the summer or don't fish for a long time.

I just picked up a pair of these for back-ups
Hodgeman Mackenzie nylon/pvc hip

Had them out twice, they worked like they're supposed to, got to make sure you don't wade too deep, water was cold when I wore them and they didn't keep me too warm. Cheap solution at $30

I also recently bought a pair of the Hodgeman McKenzie hippers at Walmart for $40. I've had them out a dozen times so far this season with no problems.

Plus one for the Hodgman's. I have had mine for two years and they are great for warm weather wading on small streams.

The Hodgmans will probably be fine.

For around twice the budget you set:

I liked my Dan Bailey felt bootfoots, they were comfortable and they lasted for at least five or six years.

My new hip waders are stockingfoot- Chota Hippies. They adjust from knee-sock length to full hip boots. Lightweight, breathable, and very packable. Probably not as durable or thornproof as the Baileys, judging from the fabric thickness.

I got a pair of these in March: https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Clear-Creek-Hip-Waders/dp/B004I8NND6

They're pvc/nylon and kinda clunky, but all in all, they do what I want them to do, have decent felts and have to be rated better than a sharp stick in the eye...

$50. Switching off between them and my waist highs, I'll probably get 1.5-2 seasons out of them. That's about all I could reasonable expect for 50 bills.

Back