Hip wader help

S

Scratch

I am looking to buy a pair of breathable stocking foot HIP waders and I need some advice from someone who has some experience with them like good,bad, or otherwise. I probably will have to get them on-line without looking at them which is something I prefer not to do. So any input I can get would be great. Thank you!

I have a pair of frog togg stockingfoot hippers - i honestly don't remember if they are breathable but they are light weight, I used them about 4-5 times per year in cooler weather, packing them into blue line creeks and putting on when I get there. they have lasted about 1.5 seasons and fit well, no leaks, no complaints. I think they are called Canyon II or something like that. good luck - don't think there are many types out there.

I too have a pair of frog togg waders I don’t remember which model . But after 7years they finally started to leak . It is actually amazing that the lasted this long . I fish at least 100 days a year and probably have them on half those days or more. I am not easy on anything . I have friends with Simms , Orvis , and reddington waders and they all used to laugh and say those won’t last . Well guess what they outlasted all there waders that were fished in way less . The only care i gave the waders was to hang them after every use ,and never left in hot car in summer , also I never wear jeans in my waders as denim and rivits in denim is abrasive to them .

There are hardly any to choose from any more...

Frogg Toggs "Canyon II", Chota "Hippies, the Vision (a Finnish company) "Koski" and the Kylebooker Stockingfoot Hip Waders are about the only four I am aware of.

Of those, I have only used the Hippies which I don't like at all because they fit like skinny jeans, (just look at the picture on the Chota link I provided). For me wearing them over jeans is an impossibility. I also have two old pair of Hodgman's Wadlites that I love, but they are long discontinued.

I will caution you that many stocking foot hippers are extremely tight in the calf area. Going up a size means bigger bootees not more fabric in the lower leg area so trying a pair on first is my suggestion if you can, unless you have skinny calves.

Good luck!!

If you are a small stream fisher see the Wading Pants post in this forum

I have a pair of ancient Orvis breathable hippers. They were fine but haven't been used in forever. No desire for hippers anymore. Even on the smallest of small streams, if I'm wearing waders, it's gotta cover my arse. I do way too much crouching. And if it's warm enough that I'm going to sweat in proper waders, then I'd prefer to wet wade to wearing hippers.

I have the Cabelas branded hip waders, I think they are denier not breathable material. No matter cause they have a permanent home in my wader bag. The seam between the wader and bootie is so damn tight its hard to get my foot through to put on or take off and I'm only an 8 1/2 shoe! Only wear them in a pinch now.

Back