Hip Pack

S

SteveG

I'm coming off of an approx 6 month fishing hiatus due to a herniated disc in my neck, and thought that maybe changing from my WJ Confluence, to something lighter would be helpful.

I used a luggage scale to compare the WJ to a lightweight Patagonia vest, and the vest was quite a bit lighter. A few days after fishing a couple hours with the WJ, I went out for a few hours with the vest. Well, that didn't go so well and really aggravated some muscles in my neck (luckily not a huge deal, as the disc itself is ok). So after a few weeks of PT I'm feeling that I can actually fish again soon, and thought that going to a hip pack, at least for a few months, might be of some help to keep from screwing up my newfound posture.

One of the potential issues I foresee, is most of the hip packs are marketed as being worn around the back most of the time (due to how far they stick out). I guess with waders and a wading belt, I have trouble imagining that sliding the pack around and back is a snag-free experience.

Does anyone use a specific pack that slides around easily?

I have a fish pond hip pack/ sling pack. It does both and I love it! I wear it where my wading belt is and it slides around great!

Same for my Umpqua 550.

+1 on the Umpqua, got a fantastic deal on my 650 on this forum

I had a chance to look at the Umpqua 550 and some of the new Simms packs. Do you guys who have the Umpqua find that the compression straps actually work to keep the pack from sagging? I recall that being one thing I didn't like about the old hip pack I had.

I wasn't impressed with the Simms packs.

I also wasn't impressed with the sims packs either. I thought most were for big western river where your carrying around everything you own. I think they were just weird. My fish pound was the perfect size for what I am doing.

" Do you guys who have the Umpqua find that the compression straps actually work to keep the pack from sagging?"

The Umqua 650 has an internal frame, haven't seen that before on a hip pack, it also has a detachable neck strap, plus it has so many adjustable straps that sagging isn't an issue.

It is big though, so if you plan on going super lite this one is definitely not the one for you.

Ok. I also took a look at the Umpqua wader chest pack, which attaches onto your wader straps. It actually looks pretty well thoughtout-but, then I realized I don't have much a need for it as my waders can fit two fly boxes in the front pocket as it is. So, I'm leaning toward a water-resistant/proof waist pack.

I got a very light weight chest pack on Amazon, for $20 I got the pack and a decent fly box, doubt if it's waterproof though. If you start searching on there you'll find an unbelievable selection, watch for the Chinese vendors though, shipping time can be months.

I forgot to mention the model of mine! It's the fishpond blue river pack you can wear it as a chest pack, over the shoulder or hip pack!

Back