hints on gaining access

I

IrishEyes

First let me give a better introduction for myself. I am 65, retired for the last 10 years and moved from NY to NC. Since moving, we bought a trailer in Pa which we live in from June through October. I bought a English Setter pup last year and that is going well. Really would like to get back into fly fishing.

My question today is about gaining access. I never was good at scouting new area, I fish the same section of streams over and over. I always go to public access areas that are pretty much fished out. I have never asked a landowner permission to hunt on their land.....also never trespass. Here in NC there is pretty decent woodcock hunting. I think here in the wintering grounds the birds feed at night in the barren farmfields and just sit on the edge during the day. I see alot of farms with hardwood along the edge. I have never had the nerve to find the farmer and ask him for access, even after the season is over, to go in with just the dog and no gun.

I have the same problem in fishing in Pa. I live near Roaring Brook. For three years I have driven past it without ever finding it. I have driven up Market Street in Moscow. There is a parking area there but again it is a heavy access area an probably fished out.

I have driven along Rt 435 north and south of Rt 690. I never get to the river. Do you ask permission at houses and business along the route? Do you get to a wooded area and just walk in? Are there approved, permitted access points that are not advertised?
I am not trying to hot spot someone but this is a problem I've had all my life. Maybe I'm just not aggressive enough. Any advise would be appreciated. Maybe all that river is just out of bounds and I should not covet my neighbors stream?

Irish,
Yours is a complex question with many facets...and there isn't an easy answer to it. I'm not familiar with the roads and areas you describe so maybe someone can give you better info. Be aware that many folks in our message board community are a bit tight lipped (and understandably so) about openly discussing access areas on private land along lesser known waterways. As a general rule, when I'm scouting new waters, I take a look first for a parking area, (usually near a bridge) and then look for posted signs. If I don't see any and there are no homes close to the water, I will often discreetly wade in and fish. If there are homes close, it's a different story and I may go elsewhere. If there are posted signs, I don't enter without permission. If you see someone outside their home or working their farm, a courteous inquiry with a promise not to litter will often get you access to posted waters. Every situation is unique.

With respect to hunting....back in my days as a hardcore hunter I looked for a mud splattered tractor. If I saw one, it was good evidence of a working farm and, in my experience, such land owners where usually much more amenable to allowing access to hunters. Land that wasn't obviously working farmland was a lot tougher to get access to to hunt. I'd imagine some of this would be true for fishing as well although I don't pay as close attention when looking for fishing spots.

Try using Google Earth. Its a great tool for finding where streams start, where they're near roads etc.

Also streams through gamelands are often wild brookie streams and legal to fish.

Roaring Brook out of Elmhurst is stocked and follows 435 into Scranton. If you can, help stock it this spring. You'll learn access points. Keep in mind stocking is done where the water is accessible to the public and fairly easy to carry buckets to. The 2 main places I know of are right below Elmhurst reservoir and Richter Ave in Scranton across from the ball field.

Roaring Brook upstream of Elmhurst has wild browns and brookies.

You've got to get off of 435 to get access to the creek, I know how to get there, but I don't know the road names. But the C & R section has plenty of access., but hardly the number of fish it used to have.

Something I've done in the past is to use Google maps. Many areas of the state you can see the property lines using "Map" view in Google (The faint gray lines on the map). If you toggle back and forth between "Map" and "Satellite", you can find big parcels of land where a stream you want to fish runs through and you can find the house on the satellite view where the owner presumptively lives. Then you know where to go and ask. A polite hello and a compliment or two usually will get you in.

I've never asked permission to access land for fishing, but I have for hunting. There are some general tips that may seem pretty obvious, but really do work and are probably worth repeating, like:

- Don't show up in your hunting (or fishing) gear and knock on someone's door. Best case, you scare the hell out of them. Worse case, well, use your imagination.
- Do scout before the season and arrive and ask permission dress appropriately, at an appropriate time of day (avoid meal and church times).
- Don't assume you have free run of the land, even with permission
- Do ask where you should park, if there are any areas that are off-limits, what the best route to access certain areas of the property are, etc.
- Make sure you at least get the landowner's name and contact information. Better yet, get a signed note from the landowner giving you permission to be there.
- Find out if there are any other people allowed to use the property, and when they will be there. Ask the landowner what to do if you encounter unauthorized people on his or her property
- Come back and help them maintain their property. There are lots of things to do on farms, but non-farm property can probably also use some help.
- If hunting, share the harvest with the landowner (or at least offer)
- Send them a holiday card, and keep in touch in between seasons. Don't assume that permission this year means permission next year.
- Ask before bring a friend or family member along. When asking for permission to go hunting, I have taken my daughter along with me. Not sure why, but most landowners are more receptive to a "family man" using their property than not.

As for what to say, I've just introduced myself (using my full name), said where I am from, and asked permission to hunt for xxx on their property. I've always been specific, because (at least up in Potter and northern PA Counties), people may not want you hunting deer but are completely ok with you hunting grouse. Regardless of what they say, always thank them for their time. In cases where they have said no, if I felt like it could work, I've said that I would check back with them in the future, just to see if circumstances have changed.

Best of luck in finding some access to land for hunting and fishing. Its actually pretty fun talking to the landowners once you get over the fear of rejection. Most of them are very nice people.

Do not wait until opening day or even a few days prior. Show them you are serious about hunting/fishing coming well in advance of the season. If a farmer owns the land, asking to help out during harvest season or cleaning out the barn in exchange for permission could only work in your favor.

Like mentioned getting something signed is great. I have heard stories of where guys were given access and booted by sons/brothers/relatives that didnt know you were given access.

Once access is gained, stopping in and sharing stories or bounty are great ways to show your character. Its always nice to ask for permisson yearly or once every couple of months just to show you care about their approval (without people overly obnoxious about it).

Back