Hiking Shoes/Boots

MKern

MKern

Well, my hiking boots are no longer water proof, not exactly sure why, but reguardless they aren't.

So I was looking for a new par of hiking boots. I have had pairs of hiking shoes in the past and loved them, especially in the summer. However, they weren't water proof and besides my feet getting wet, they got horrible smelly. Seeing as how my boots are now bad, I'll need to get a new pair.

The debate is, I found a pair of water proof hiking shoes that I love (and will probably get), but they are more than I wanted to spend. Also, they don't cover my need for a high-topped insulated water proof boot. I really didn't want to buy 2 pairs of hiking boots, espaecially at after more than likely dropping double of what I thought on the shoes.

I'm worried that my hiking shoes won't be warm enough or high enough to keep snow out in the Winter. I have considered and mid-top boot, but haven't found any I like.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions, or at least so reasurance that it's okay to buy 2 pairs of boots.

Goes back to what you doing with them?

Summer- I would'nt want an insulated boot. I think I would get the water proof hiking boot. I have had several Vasque's Skywalks or Sundowners they are great and bombproof. (especially if you are a caddie and the course is wet everymorning for several hours)

Not sure what's out there now since I have'nt looked for hiking type boots in a long time.

I find that the insulated boots are cheaper and you'll probably were'em alot less.

If the new ones aren't high enough, get a set of OR gators. I have a set that comes to my knees and are Goretex. They fit down over the tops of my ice climbing boots.

gators are a good idea.

For if I have more than one pair to choose from...weight becomes the ultimate decider. Go with the lightest of the ones you like. I had some heavy boots when I was younger and the became a drudge to walk in.

I swear by Rocky Gortex boots. For me anyway – comfortable, lightweight, waterproof, breathable, and durable. I do have two pairs, non-insulated for the summer and insulated for winter.

Rocky makes a good product; however, they don't stand behind them.

I had a pair that failed in the sole and they would not work with me. A hunting buddy and my father also had problems with Rocky boots failing in the sole and neither of them got any support from Rocky customer service.

Therefore I will no longer purchase Rocky products.

I don't techincally own "hiking" boots...I consider all my boots hunting boots. I've come to realize that you need 2 pairs of boots, one insulated and one non insulated. I personally own Danner Pronghorns for my non insulated pair and I'm looking to get a pair of insulated boots soon. I perfer non insulated boots because of all the walking I do but insulated boots do have their time and place. Its also nice to have 2 pairs just in case one gets wet and even if they are waterproof they still can get wet!

I own 2 pair and it is great to have 2.

I have a pair of Asolo gore-tex lined, uninsulated hiking shoes($115) for warm weather use and a pair of Readhead Ultimate Hunetrs($199) for wet/cold weather use. They are gore-tex lined and 600 gram thinsulate for warmth. Both have served very well under demanding conditions.

Gotta have two pair (summer and winter). Seems like you do a lot of hoofing--if you found a pair that you really like you won't be sorry for getting them.

fritz,
I keep telling my self that but I'm a tight azz with money.

acristickid wrote:
Goes back to what you doing with them?

Summer- I would'nt want an insulated boot. I think I would get the water proof hiking boot. I have had several Vasque's Skywalks or Sundowners they are great and bombproof. (especially if you are a caddie and the course is wet everymorning for several hours)

Not sure what's out there now since I have'nt looked for hiking type boots in a long time.

I find that the insulated boots are cheaper and you'll probably were'em alot less.

I like the Vasque boots as well. But they are cut slightly narrow. One thing I learned back when I used to do a lot of backpacking is to try out the boots before buying and never trade off fit for price. This is one time I really like Cabela's or the other big outdoor stores since they have a wide selection and you can try everyhting out.

One comment on the gaiters. Which is a good idea if you only get one pair. Some gaitors, such as the polarfleece goretex ones add a bit of insulation.

I don't think you can go wrong with Vasques or Merrells. I've had my Vasque Sundowners for almost 7 years and they are still waterproof. I've never put anything on them to help that either. I agree with Tabasco that they are cut a little narrow. They will take a little work to break them in too but after they are, they'r sweet. I currently have only 1 pair but I do have a pair of Goretex Merrell sneakers for summer time hiking. Check out www.thesportsmansguide.com or www.sierratradingpost.com for deals. I saved close to $60 by buying mine at these 2 places.

For hiking shoes, I really like the New Ballance XXX (they are brown) They really feel comfortable and have a ton of support, which is needed because I do a lot of jumping from one bank to another.
But I am still undicided on teh Winter time boots.

For my job, I work outdoors, specifically around streams and wetlands, so I am always getting wet and muddy, which will eventually ruin your boots if you don't keep them clean. I get a new pair of boots at least once a year and I always seem to go back to Montrails. I have had Danner, Cabelas (light-hikers) Vasque, Asolo, and Muck. They all have there perks but for year-around warmth and dryness-Montrails are my boot.
I would only think of getting a boot with Thinsolate if I were planning on not moving around alot, like hunting etc. and not on the move. Light winter hiking, w/ snow on the ground, is best solved by keeping you feet dry and and warm with layered socks, like liner socks, smartwool makes some really nice stuff-NO COTTON. Also you sound like you don't wanna spend much, but I would not go cheap, cause that last thing you want is bad feet when you are on the go. You would probably regret it if it happened to you. But try alot on, see what fits your foot preferences. O and another good sign of a good boot is the sole, Vibram is the top of the line and will NEVER be replaced.

LL Bean Cresta Hikers. Awesome boots, lined with Goretex, fit like a second skin. They are usually in my vehicle just in case.

Your best bet with any type of hiking or hunting boot is to get a pair or two that fits well from the start. Make sure you take the socks along that you will be wearing with the boots. Try and find a place that has salespeople that know how to properly fit boots. Sometimes a boot may require a little stretching or addition of a heel pocket or different insole. Purchase the waterproffing reccomended by the maker, lot's of manufacturers now use Nikwax waterbased waterproofing compounds so they don't have any trouble with breaking down the adhesives they use. I recomend the Outdoor Research Goretex gaiters called Crocs. They are knee high and cover almost all the laces on most boots keeping your lower legs both dry and warm. Newer boots are commonly made with a combination of leather and man-made materials to include Goretex and can be very comfortable, dry, and warm right from the start. Break-in is minimal too. Now, If you want the ultimate in warmth and waterproofness, get a set of Double plastic mountaineering boots. They weigh a ton, actually about seven pounds each, and only change fit when the inner boots compress, which takes forever. They do cost about $300.00 and up, but my one pair is over fifteen years old and is as good as when I bought them. They have also seen the summits of quite a few 14,000 foot peaks, lots of ice climbing and winter hiking including the Presidential Traverse in the Whites and one successful summit bid on Denali. They are more than likely over-kill for you, but it is one extreme to possibly consider. I also have two pairs of Montrails, two pairs of LaSportivas, and two pairs of Technikas. All the makers put out good boots today if you go to a good shop you will probably find something that will work and not be too expensive.

New to the board and the sport. My Vasque Sundowner mx2's have lasted years with Mid-state trail abuse (about 100 miles or so) plus winter camping. They are great.

Back