Hicks run off of 555 near benezette?

TigerTrout4wt

TigerTrout4wt

So I was looking to see what info I could get on this stream. I have read it's a limbstone stream and it has been stocked. It will be my buddy's party and this stream will be in the back yard. It's off of 555 on hicks run road. I want to have my buddy catch some fish for it will be his first time with a fly rod. Any good bugs that hatch in that area? I have done a little research but can't find much. Any info from this area would be great. I do plan on pulling rocks and looking for spider webs to get a idea of what the stream has to offer but still was looking for other people 2 cents.

It's a freestone stream, not limestone. I don't know when you are planning to fish, but currently, like all streams in NC PA, it is very low.

That's a shame. I did see that there are two hicks run streams near that area. Most likely it will be a #censor# show now... lol I don't know how much it gets stocked but with it being low and how hot it was I don't expect much now. I will most likely see how far trout run is from where we are at. Thank you so much for the info. Do you know any good limestone streams in that area that are close?

There isn't really any limestone up that way. You gotta go SE and get down off the Allegheny Front into the ridge and valleys to find limestone. Closest bet is the State College area.

Get the Elk State Forest map. Just use Google to find their phone number, call them and they'll send you a map. And the map is online.

And you can also use AcmeMapper.

Find your location. Then look at streams that are on public lands.

There is a large mileage of streams in that area that hold wild trout, and some are also stocked.

The East and West Branches of Hicks are much better fishing than Hicks Run itself.

We are in a serious drought. The streams in that region are extremely low. Hope for rain.

If the streams stay low, you can just go for hikes and look for elk. Go in the early morning or near dusk. That's the best time to see elk, and also it's not so hot.

Neither east or west branch of Hicks is stocked very heavily. They do hold a decent population of wild brook trout so they shouldn't ever be stocked, but I digress. No substantial hatches are normally found. There are a good number of small class A streams in the area also. However, the water is this part of the state is EXTREMELY low and warm right now.
It would be best to give the fish a break right now and enjoy some hiking instead, just be mindful of rattle snakes.

Hicks proper is stocked to the hilt (or at least it was the day I was there). I only fished that area one time (up a day early for a backpacking trip on the Elk Trail), but it was the day they stocked in-season and it was combat fishing. I believe there is a club that stocks it as well. I also fished West Branch of Hicks, with limited success but several anglers had fished up ahead of me. Other streams in the area produced much better for me after the backpacking trip was over.

Every trout stream in the area is best left alone right now...the combination of low water and high temps have the trout holding on for dear life. Check the largest creeks for smallmouth, they're in the PA wilds too.

Driftwood branch has decent smallie fishing. and there should be some water there

Back