hi-vis fly

808transplant

Hey guys,
Basically, my eyes can suck, especially on covered streams where half of it is shaded and the other half in the sun. My question: take a Elk wing caddis for instance, if i were to put a bright highlight in the win, would it make a difference fish catching wide?
the way i figure, if i put a small streak of orange or white antron or craft fur in the front middle of the wing, ill see it that much better. what do you guys think?

Tying in a brightly colored post of whatever materiel is a nice way to make a fly visible. I have done it on crowe beetles, which are quite hard to see without some kind of indicator.
However, there are times and places where I think the fish can see the indicator also. I've had fish not touch a beetle with an indicator, only to strike the exact same fly that didn't have one tied in.
So I started painting bright orange or pink dots on their backs, and that seems to work a little better for me.
You could probably try that on an elk hair caddis also

808transplant............Absolutely , just be careful not to add something to the wing that will make it sink , you'll notice that in the shaded ares of the stream , in the glare , a dark fly shows up on the bright surface of the water , as a little black dot , on the other hand in the sun , a streak of orange or white in the wing is visible from a long distance. I combine a dark bodied fly with a hi-vis wing and try to cover both light situations. One more thing , if you can spot your fly at impact , as soon as it hits , it's easier to keep track of through the drift. Hope this helps a little.

i try to keep track of the end of my line but when im using a long leader and a 18 elk hair i tend to lose it a little(i fish valley a lot). i tied up a few small caddis last night and tried a small highlight of orange craft fur, white antron, and neon green port material. i just put a tiny little streak right in the middle of the wing. ill try to get a picture up here and we'll see how it looks. thanks for the info

I tie a little orange or chart. poly yarn on top of the deer hair or elk hair wing on my caddis dry flies for visibility. I often use these hi-vis ties as an indicator fly for a dropper rig. It has worked well for me.

FWIW, Antron takes up water, and an antron post seems to really wick it up.

Poly yarn, on the other hand, does not. It also accepts gink readily, like Fade to a midget.

I tie my posts from poly yarn because of this, and have used indicators made of poly yarn doubled over and heavily ginkzerated.

Would working a few strands of flash material help you out? A few clear krystal flash might give you the extra oomph?

what afish said. I haven't tried it, but tying a little indicator of poly yarn or zlon over the elk wing should do the trick. Fish won't know the difference...

With poly you should not need gink or any other floatant. its naturally water resistant, if any thing gink adds weight to poly. why not tie a piece of foam in for the wing. real antron will catch air and not sink also.

Back