Heron Rant

I had a rather large flock of hose me like that a week ago in central PA. They would spook and fly/paddle on the water surface scaring everything upstream until they stopped. Any attempt to move upstream had the same result. Had to go into the woods and get away from them.

Tell YBA and the state to stop feeding them stocked trout. That'll reduce their population.

I fished a small mountain stream in MD in March this year. There was a light coating of snow on the ground. I was relieved not to see any human footprints...then came across heron tracks all along the stream:(

It actually fished very well that day. Still a little disconcerting to know they are savaging the gemmies tho

Yackers much worse then herons

Personally haven't had any issues with the herons yet.

Geese on the other hand is a whole other story. Back in the mid 90's a few hundred feet below the covered bridge on the Tully I had a pair of them swarm me while I was almost diddly deep in the crick. Luckily it wasn't in a strong flow & I was able to right myself and fetch my 5wgt before it went to far downstream.

There is a local spot that mini-me and I hit sometimes, where people have taken to feeding the big winged rats. Yesterday we pulled up shortly after 7AM and they must not have gotten their morning fill as about 20 of them came running as soon I opened the wagon door to get out. I closed the door an drove down the road a bit & parked in a pull-off area instead of the parking lot.

I know it's illegal to kill one of those two...how bout the other? Lol

Ladened or un-ladened swallows?

Come on guys...usually after you give them a fish or two they fly away. Than all the other trout are left to the challenge.

Six-Gun wrote:
I had a rather large flock of hose me like that a week ago in central PA.

Did you mean a large flock of those or hoes?

Anyway, herons usually don't fly in flocks. Very solitary. The only time you will see them in large groups is nesting colonies.

You should stay away from those anyway for reasons stated in another thread.;-)

krayfish2 wrote:

I know it's illegal to kill one of those two...how bout the other? Lol

Depends on if they are in season.

I have never had an issue with a blue Heron. All the ones I have seen are quite shy, but rarely fish the more popular streams.

But I want to tell a story from way back. Was fishing a wild stream (which will remain nameless). I did see a heron take off when I first arrived. Next day I told a fishing buddy about it who was also a deputy fish cop. Right away, he asked, did you kill it?

I said: what for, they taste even worse than bald eagle.

OK, I made that last line up. ... they don't.;-) But I thought it odd that a deputy fish cop would suggest I should kill blue herons. I doubt he would suggest that to someone he didn't know though.

>>I said: what for, they taste even worse than bald eagle. >>

My Paternal Grandfather got his brains stirred good in the trenches in France during the Great War and it left him a lifelong PTSD sufferer who never worked a conventional job. He sired 10 kids and put food on the table by butchering hogs for neighbors, building the odd porch here and there and witching water. He spent most of his free time (which was considerable...) spearing spring suckers in Elk Creek, running coon and by poaching whatever he could poach. Back before they figured out the aluminum box thing for wood ducks, my Dad said the old man probably poached half of the 25 or so woodies that were left between Erie and Pittsburgh at the time. Nor did he make an exception for Great Blue Herons, which were also way down numbers wise around the same time. The old man was very knowledgeable about the woods and what he did not know, he was intensely curious to learn. So, he'd see the odd heron now and then and he wondered how one would be browned up in a pan. So, he shot one and ate it, reducing the number of herons in PA to about the same level as wood ducks. Before he died (he lived to be 89, mostly by always making a point of eating the ring of fat on the edge of a pork chop first...), he told me that while he had a rule that he always ate what he shot, one heron was enough for a lifetime. He said they were better eating than mergansers, but not as good as a crow.

RLeep2 wrote:
>>I said: what for, they taste even worse than bald eagle. >>

My Paternal Grandfather got his brains stirred good in the trenches in France during the Great War and it left him a lifelong PTSD sufferer who never worked a conventional job. He sired 10 kids and put food on the table by butchering hogs for neighbors, building the odd porch here and there and witching water. He spent most of his free time (which was considerable...) spearing spring suckers in Elk Creek, running coon and by poaching whatever he could poach. Back before they figured out the aluminum box thing for wood ducks, my Dad said the old man probably poached half of the 25 or so woodies that were left between Erie and Pittsburgh at the time. Nor did he make an exception for Great Blue Herons, which were also way down numbers wise around the same time. The old man was very knowledgeable about the woods and what he did not know, he was intensely curious to learn. So, he'd see the odd heron now and then and he wondered how one would be browned up in a pan. So, he shot one and ate it, reducing the number of herons in PA to about the same level as wood ducks. Before he died (he lived to be 89, mostly by always making a point of eating the ring of fat on the edge of a pork chop first...), he told me that while he had a rule that he always ate what he shot, one heron was enough for a lifetime. He said they were better eating than mergansers, but not as good as a crow.

What an amazing story!
It sounds like Gramps was a unique and resourceful guy over his long life, even if the trenches never left his troubled soul. Wish I could have met him, I'll bet he was a wealth of knowledge about the outdoors.
Cool report on the table qualities of herons too. I'd say the case is closed on that particular option - coming from an old soldier/jack of all trades/outdoor culinary expert who knew from personal experience.

Ditto what Dave W said.

I of course was joking (and I'm sure you know that).

Although I ate a lot of venison while growing up, some of it technically not legal, I'd never have considered eating some large nasty bird that eats fish.

They were also quite rare back then.

Heck, I never even tried groundhog. We were uppity hillbillies.;-)

So I lose a few fish and frogs from my ponds to a blue heron or two. They make more.

I did however shoot AT a Merganser once with intent of killing it, but alas I missed. I made it sporting with a .22 revolver at over 100 yards, but I just barely missed. Close enough to scare it off though.

I used to use 22 shorts to scare geese off of the pond. I'd try to get close enough to scare them off without hitting them. Well, my wife saw me doing this and must have thought I was trying to actually hit them. One day I saw her walking down close to the pond with the revolver and taking a few shots at the geese. When she got back I asked if she was trying to hit them. When she said yes, I asked... What would you do with it if you actually hit one? Are you going to clean it? She never thought of that.

I quite doing that after I got cattle, and now I have a couple families of geese on the pond.

Before someone goes off on me about shooting into water is a bad idea, I know they do ricochet off of water at such an angle. But I also understand physics and know there is nothing to hit down range of the pond for well over a mile. Heck, my property line is nearly a half mile and they won't even leave the property. A .22 short fired from a revolver and bounced off water isn't going to go that far and even if it did, it wouldn't leave a mark.;-) 17HMR works too, and I can get real close with that. ;-)

Ah threads like this help reinforce why I'm generally left shaking my head after encounters with some of the "sports" I've been unfortunate to come across while hunting or fishing. My only worry is their numbers might be increasing.

FD,
What if your bullet struck an innocent bass swimming by? You fish murderer!

Feeding the turtles.

Back