here's one for the old guys....

JG63 wrote:
1554 is the one I have. stole it from my Dad (he let me..) in 1973 and have used it every year since. I have about 100 yards of 20# backing and an older green 333 WF6F Rocket taper on it. Simple, easy, light, and strong! It won't stop a train but has NEVER failed on the many hundreds of Smallmouth, Largemouth, Brook-Brown-Rainbow, Crappie, Rockies, Fallfish, Pumpkinseeds, and Bluegill over the years.
You forgot to mention NOISY! I still have one, it was my first fly reel. It could wake a sleeping fisherman for sure.
Mike B

south bend 1140 series would do nice on your fenwick, I have several of them. get a double taper too.

it's looking like i got scammed on the ebay rod. i had a feeling this might happen as things just seemed a little odd with the auction.
so i'm back to looking.
a 5wt fenwick is what i'm looking for.

Post a wanted ad on the FFR board. I'll bet you'll get offers. You must be registered and logged in to see the classifieds.

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/

well the issue with the 805 was resolved, and i won an ff705 ten minutes ago so we'll see how this plays out.

The FF705 is one sweet rod - would love to have one. And the shorter Fenwick rods command higher prices. I have an FF706 and love it. It doesn't feel like a 3+ ounce rod because it balances so well. And it doesn't feel like a 6 weight (which it is) when casting.

the short 5 and 6 wts are ebaying right around $150. mine went to 143. i'm hoping to see later this week.

I recently acquired a brand new, neverfished Fenwick FF70. Only weighs 3 oz. 7 footer rated for 6 weight line. I can't wait to try it. I put a 1494 reel on it with a 5 weight line. I cast it out on the front lawn a few times. I can't believe how nice it is for a 1969 vintage rod. I see now why the old fenwicks are popular and in such demand. I am sure you will enjoy your new rod.

the 705 showed today, and i'm totally stoked. having never handled a fiberglass rod i thought they were all tanks. but this thing is no heavier than any of my modern st. croixs.
the reel should be here in a few days, can't wait.

Congrats! How about some pictures?

i got everything together today, so here are is a pix of my new setup.

Attachments

• fenwick.jpg
    fenwick.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 4
brain, very nice! Looks like the rod is in very good condition. Have fun with it.

Very nice retro outfit, you'll have some great times with that. Wish I still had my old Fenwicks.

the rod was fished, but either not very much or very lightly. as best i can tell the rod dates to 77-78ish while the reel is slightly older at late 60's to early 70s.
the reel is spooled with a new cortland classic 444 dt5f. according to cortland's propaganda, this line contour and length has not changed in 40 plus years.
i'm pleased with the outfit. the balance is just right, and i like shorter rods. the only thing i did was take the reel apart, clean, lube and set it up for lhw. i might have to take it out for some trouts, as it's going to be a few weeks till the creek is ready for panfishing.

salvelinus wrote:
Very nice retro outfit, you'll have some great times with that. Wish I still had my old Fenwicks.

Me too. But in the 70's I bought into "graphite is better" so I gave my Fenwicks away. Now I know graphite isn't better, it's just different. I thank God I didn't sell my bamboo rods with the same rationale.

You would have liked the the FF805. (Woodstream version)
I've been fishing mine since the early 80's.
I like it better now with a DT4.

Attachments

• DSCN0361.jpg
    DSCN0361.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 3
In the '50's a Heddon Black Beauty, followed by 2 Shakespeare 7'9" WonderRods, '69 or '70 A Fenwick Ferralite, then a Cummings 7' glass.
From there, in around '70 a Fenwick graphite 9' 8wt' for Bass. Then more graphite, glass and bamboo in no special order.

Back