Hendricksons Color Penns Creek April 18,19,20

I've just tied Adams this year from 20 through 12 and haven't had any issues with refusals for olives or Hnedricksons. Used to mostly use pinkish, tannish Hendricksons with a few red quills, but have't seen much of a difference. A few years ago tied only tan Sparkle duns and parachute Cahills for the later season, and didn't see much difference. I mostly first Lehigh Valley and Poconos so hit different sortds of water.

I think changing style of fly means more than color. Maybe a Catskill style, maybe a Sparkle dun, maybe a CDC fly etc.

I like to start with a 12 for Hendricksons. I'm of the camp start large and go down if you are not catching any.

sandfly wrote:
maybe to you but a fish sees differently than us.

Silhouettes are all teh same colour, y'know.

Furthermore, they're fish. As much as people like to anthropomorphize them, they're creatures who live in hostile environments that generally lack grocery stores.

As long as it looks like something they can eat, they will eat it.

Last year on the Delaware River in early April (the Hendrickson's came off early last year) there were thousands of Hendrickson's on the water surface and my buddy was casting to a rising trout with an Elk Hair Caddis (which there were a few hatching). He caught that fish on the 1st or 2nd cast while my Hendrickson pattern got lost in the crowd.

Food for thought.

+1. When the iso is on, they are usually a mix ofsizes from #10-#16 I just sling a #8 or #10 around. They''ll run to grab the isosarus.

That damn Isosaurus might be my favorite fly to toss. Size 10 2xl. Problem for me is finding a dry fly hook in that size. Seems I usually have to use a streamer and they are heavier.

SBecker wrote:
Size 10 2xl. Problem for me is finding a dry fly hook in that size

TMC5212. Want me to tie them for you, too?

Ha, bad use of words. I should have said, I always forget to purchase them at my local fly shop. Then when I need them I do not have them and use what I got.

I do prefer to tie my own, but knowing your fantastic tying skills, I would appreciate if you did. I will send you a pm with my address. Think you can get them to me by middle of May?

I think on certain streams size = presentation in order of importance. And this depends on the hatch. For example I also throw a size 8 Iso when size 10s are hatching and the fish slash at them. However if a size 20 sulphur is hatching and the fish are on them you better have a size 20. It doesn't mean you can't pick up a fish here or there throwing something bigger, especially during blanket hatches, but from my own experience with certain hatches and rivers size is just as important as presentation.

SBecker wrote:
I do prefer to tie my own, but... I would appreciate if you did.

Something like this maybe?
IMGP0001-1_zpsbe665bf8.jpg

Yep, they look great! :)

Gutcutter:

Its not right. All I use my hands for is pleasuring myself, picking my nose and eating (not usually at the same time).

Your hands do all sorts of amazing things.

Some guys have all the luck.

Nice seeing you back.

Nice seeing you again G.......i just have a little tid bit of history toshare about the Hendrickson........that pinkish grey dubbing originally came from the urine stained fur from a vixen fox and in the day it was prized. Now i imagine most is dyed or a mix of other colors , but the original was pee stained female fox fur.

osprey wrote:
Nice seeing you again G.......i just have a little tid bit of history toshare about the Hendrickson........that pinkish grey dubbing originally came from the urine stained fur from a vixen fox and in the day it was prized. Now i imagine most is dyed or a mix of other colors , but the original was pee stained female fox fur.

Still have a piece I got from an old trapper several years ago. Nothing like it! :)

other wise they are to rope and shave...

then why do they refuse your flies if they are not so smart...

sandfly wrote:
then why do they refuse your flies if they are not so smart...

Because its fishing? How do you decide which cupcake to eat first?

Ichthyologists don't buy angling literature because they already figured out what fish eat, but a bunch of idiots in plasticized pants will buy a library's worth of material that makes up excuses as to why something with the brain the size of a pea choose real food over a ball of fluff and it must obviously be because the shade of pink was wrong.

theres that color thing again

Go back and re-read it, because you obviously did not the first time.

I have no problem using the proper size for the hatch adams, then again I tend to agree with the be more on presentation side of the debate.

Back