Hendrickson

Dear West Branch,

I lived for over 10 years in Binghamton, and I never even looked for them on the Delaware branches or the Beaverkill before April 28th. I never missed the hatch and caught most of it.

But I remember one dry low snow year when the hatch was on the Lackawanna in late March and done by April first.

Down here in Central PA I've found that it's pretty common to find the hatch done in early April. I fish Sulphur's starting May 1st, and fish hit them readily.

I grew up like this:

Hendricksons - look for them around April 15th
Grey Fox/March Brown - look for them around May 1st
Sulphur's - look for them around May 15th

I haven't seen that timetable for over 15 year!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
spot on

The heaviest Hendrickson hatch I've ever seen was on Pine Creek at Blackwell. As I recall it was on Sunday, the second day of the season.

There were a lot of trout rising, but there were so many flies on the water that you had little chance of the trout taking your fly among the thousands of them on the water.

I don't know if that type of blanket hatch of Hendricksons still happens on Pine Creek or not. I've seen sporadic hatches on Pine Creek and other places, enough to bring trout up, but nothing like that. It's hard to imagine that the stream could have that many nymphs of one species.

I have a few standard hendo patterns like Matt posted but.....
I hate to admit it but a properly sized light tan x caddis floats longer and works for paralep, hendo, caddis and grey fox. Yeah, I'm filthy 😁

I hate to admit it but a properly sized light tan x caddis floats longer and works for paralep, hendo, caddis and grey fox. Yeah, I'm filthy 😁
You said it, I didn't. I guess some guys want to go the easiest route and forego any regard to the history of fly fishing. I on the other hand enjoy matching the hatch and not just throwing attractors at them. 😁

Here are a few more that aren't on my PC.
1. Down wing duns
2. Rusty spinner parachute w/white post
3. Various spinners
4. Red Quill soft hackles
5. Hendrickson soft hackles
Great patterns. Hope you don’t mind me plagiarizing them…

Beautiful work! One hatch I have never experienced. One of these years I will get out for one of the earlier season hatches!
Thank you. Get up to the Delaware between April 24th and May15th (depending on water levels and temperature) and you should see Hendrickson's start to pop around 2:00.

Great patterns. Hope you don’t mind me plagiarizing them…
Not at all, but if you sell them I expect name recognition

Not at all, but if you sell them I expect name recognition
I already named a fly for you…
The WBranch caddis.
It is forever yours!!!

Attachments

• 4FA70A06-24C5-4FBC-B732-E49CD4C05D86.jpeg
    4FA70A06-24C5-4FBC-B732-E49CD4C05D86.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 28
Some of the Hendrickson emerger patterns look very similar to a tan X caddis.

People are tying mayfly emergers with the wing at a low angle to imitate wings that haven't fully unfurled yet. The difference between that and a caddis pattern isn't very much.

"One fly to rule them all."

Some of the Hendrickson emerger patterns look very similar to a tan X caddis.

People are tying mayfly emergers with the wing at a low angle to imitate wings that haven't fully unfurled yet. The difference between that and a caddis pattern isn't very much.

"One fly to rule them all."
Agreed. But I've never seen a caddis with a trailing shuck or the colors I use on those patterns.

I sometimes think I could tie on a caddis and fish all season with it. Often catch more on it during a sulfur hatch than I do on sufurs.

Back