Help with Tying the Split Tail

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

I am tying RS2's in 18-22. As shown in this video, I am splitting the tails with a piece of thread. http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/How-to-Tie-the-RS2-Fly/#.UfBSbMu9KSM

The trick, as stated in the video, is to get the micro fibbets aligned on the top of the hook. I am finding that difficult. Any ideas as to tying these kinds of tails? Thanks in advance.

thread tension. tie them on the side, pull them into place with the thread.

Once you do that sometimes it helps to put a thread wrap under the tail fibers. This will splay them out a bit and will be easier to take the extra tag of thread and split the tails.

I make a small ball - of thread or dubbing - at the back of the hook to split them. Then tie each fibbet in separately with a couple tight turns against the ball to splay them out nicely.

gfen wrote:

Yes. Watch the video again and pay attention to how Matt ties in the tail and does exactly what Gfen describes. Also notice where along the shank he is tying in. By starting in the middle of the hook he can then lift the fibbets slightly and let each thread wrap pull them squarely down on top of the hook as he wraps backwards. It is a good technique to use when thing in any tail material.
The RS2 is a very effective pattern, but I hate those long stiff fibbets.
Mike.

I have used the thread to split the tails. However, I prefer the use of a dubbing ball dryflyguy posted. I think it is easier.

gfen wrote:

Gary and FT (above) have it.

To clarify, just about all unsecured materials (fibbets in this case) have a tendency to roll around the shank on the first wrap. Use that to your advantage by positioning the unsecured material on the near side of the shank and allow it to roll on top as you begin your wrap.

In the video, Matt ties on a bare shank which will virtually assures the material will roll. When the material rolls on top, take two hard tension wraps around the shank and it will be locked into place. Now, all you need do is lightly hold the fibbets in place while wrapping towards the bend of the hook. Always remember to use good thread tension to secure materials.

Looping a length of thread around the hook and pulling it back to splay the tails is a great and easy way to split tails. Good stuff.

Dubbing ball is good on bigger patterns (18 and larger), however, I find that if you tie them in with a wrap or two straight on top of the shank, then you can hold them with your material hand until it nears the bend. Once there you can let go and they'll both stay in place and start to separate on their own, as someone up there said.

TLDR: use your material hand to hold them straight as you wrap toward the bend, then let go once they're close and straight.

Back