Help with Sink Tips

B

Buggy

Just purchased Cortland Sink Tip Kit, but don't know what lengths to make. The kit contains 12' of line with 6" per second sink rate. I plan to use it to fish streamers and wet flies on swift water such as the Yough, and on lakes. I want to use sink tips with my 6wt and 8wt. The line doesn't have a weight rating. Should I not worry about the line weight with sink tips?

You say its a kit? Does it come with instructions?

I didn't buy a kit but I did make some sink tips once...I whipped loops on the ends of 4 and 6 inch lengths...just loop to looped them between line and leader according to how deep i needed to go...(usually in the float tube) Never used more than one...but I went looking for them when I read this and didn't find them..

I did find a pack of Orvis "lead heads" (same thing) in 4 and 6 inch lengths...hhmmm wonder when I did that...I could swear I used the ones i made last year at the beach...its ***** getting old...

tomgamber,

It is actually called the Cortland MINI-HEAD KIT. I got it at Gander MTN for $10.00. It comes with four Cortland Slip-On Loops that you heat shrink. Two need to be added the the cut piece of sinking line. One Slip-On Loop connects to the fly line the other to the leader. The instructions state "Simply cut the sinking line to a desired length." It sounds like 4" and 6" will be good lenght to start with.

Why would they package 12' of line and only enough slip on loops to make two sink tips? A pack of 4 Slip-On Loops costs around $7.00. They probably expect the consumer to buy the extra Slip-On Loops even though their not needed.

Buggy wrote:

Why would they package 12' of line and only enough slip on loops to make two sink tips? A pack of 4 Slip-On Loops costs around $7.00. They probably expect the consumer to buy the extra Slip-On Loops even though their not needed.

It would be just as easy to wrap a loop on each end with a fly tying bobbin and shrink or laquer over the wraps...but i think you're good.

Back