Help with removable weights.

mdamm318

mdamm318

I wanted to get opinions on the best removable weights for nymph fishing. The right size shot I’m finding are not easily removable. Also wanted to get thoughts on soft or tungsten putty weight.

I wanted to get opinions on the best removable weights for nymph fishing. The right size shot I’m finding are not easily removable. Also wanted to get thoughts on soft or tungsten putty weight.

Dear mdamn,

I'm a dinosaur who still uses Water Gremlin removeable lead split-shot when I don't use the matchstick lead strips that Tom G mentioned above.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Apparently they s
Screenshot 20230205 203758 Chrome
till exist!

Dear mdamn,

I'm a dinosaur who still uses Water Gremlin removeable lead split-shot when I don't use the matchstick lead strips that Tom G mentioned above.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
I too still use Water Gremlins with the "ears" for easy removal in size "B" & "BB". I also use tungsten putty on occasion. I've posted before to think "spaghetti" and not "meatballs" when applying tungsten putty to your tippet and you will be fine.

I use the smallest swiss army knife. It's just over 2" long and I carry it on a zinger with my nippers.
pen knife

I use the blade to CAREFULLY pry open the split shot. Try not to mash the sinker to hard when you pinch it on your line with forceps.

And it doubles as a bottle opener using the little nail file thingy.

P3270494

I use the old Soft Lead putty however I have recently become a fan of Dinsmores from the UK in my conventional fishing. It is really soft, stays put and is easily removed, at least I find it easy. ;)

I am currently using their Super Soft Cushion Shot which is dark green, comes in some nice smaller sizes and is egg shaped with no protrusions like the Water Gremlin which invite snags. Dinsmores even offers a Shot Removing Tool as well as shot that comes with its own tool.

As they are a UK based company some products can be tricky to find but Amazon sells a lot and there are a few UK stockists that sell on eBay.

81-MKqZ8yqL._AC_SX679_679x.jpg

I also use Dinsmores in this style. To open/remove them, I just stick my thumbnail in the slit.

I generally clamp them on with my teeth. That's not always necessary, but I'm a very crude man; I've eaten cookies in bed, on occasion.

I third the suggestion of the Dinsmores shot.

Water Gremlins are by far the best and cheapest option. BB and B sizes are all you should need.

81-MKqZ8yqL._AC_SX679_679x.jpg

I also use Dinsmores in this style. To open/remove them, I just stick my thumbnail in the slit.

I generally clamp them on with my teeth. That's not always necessary, but I'm a very crude man; I've eaten cookies in bed, on occasion.
Don't use your teeth.

Been using Dinsmores for years as well, though I do have some Water Gremlins left over from my bait days :).

Usually you can open them with your thumbnail and forceps. And YES I use my teeth to clamp them on (dentists everywhere cringe)

I use Water Gremlin for B and BB, but rarely use such large weights. Can be found at Walmart and almost any place with fishing tackle. My most used weight is a 4 and I have had my best luck lately with Loon Black Drops - they come off easily with a thumb. Used to use the Dinsmore soft ones,
but can't find them locally anymore. Tried a cheap brand to fill my 4 slot and they were a harder metal. Tough to squeeze on, still slipped and were hard to take off. Buy name brand weights.

I'm old fashioned and prefer Water Gremlin split shot. Either lead or tin. Some people don't like to use lead shot for environmental reasons. In 60 years of angling I have never had a pinch on split shot come off. I use tin shot wherever lead is illegal.

Back