Help w/ a 9' 5wt

Try em before you buy em. . What I might like would not work in your hand.
I just got a catalog from Bass Pro ,rod prices didn't look that far off. GG

OH yeah I'm definitely not gonna buy anything w/out casting it first. Just wondering what rods people would lean towards in this price range, and what they'd avoid.

Gonna try out the Echo and the LL Bean Streamlight.

Squatch - Went to the fly shop by my work at lunch just to "look around and kill an hour." Got out with only minor damage...some tippet I needed anyway and a few BH Rubberleg Prince's. Never used them before and thought they looked cool.

Anyway, they had a lot of Redingtons in stock. Picked up a Pursuit for the first time...very nice rod in the same range you're looking at. All Redington's come with quality components for the price, but this thing was dang smooth too. Website says it's "fast" but it felt more like a med/fast to me. I was tempted...but managed to get out of the door without it in hand. Fortunately for me it doesn't come in the size I'm looking into to fill a gap in my lineup...7'6-8'0 5wt. Comes in the 9'0 5wt you're looking for though. $100 for the 2 piece, $120 for the 4 piece. Might be worth a look if you like med/fast action.

I'm not sure what I like, but I know what I'm used to. Any suggestions on rods that go a little on the slower side? As a glass user, I'm used to a bit slower.

Redington CT is a legit medium rod IMO. Pretty sure there's a 9'0 5wt in that lineup. $150.

LL Bean has a new model out this year..."Pocket Water"...being marketed along the same lines as the Redington CT...old school medium feel with modern materials. Don't think that one comes bigger than a 7'10 5wt though. Haven't casted it yet either. $200, or thereabouts.

It's kinda tough to find legit "medium" rods in longer lengths. Most of them are all pretty short for small stream work it seems. The Streamlight Ultra I have (6'11 4wt) is a touch on the medium side of medium fast maybe...not sure if that will hold up in the longer lengths and heavier weights or not.

Yeah I checked the Pocket Water line, too short. I think I'm gonna have to face the fact that for a 9' 5wt, I'm gonna have to adjust to medium fast rods.

For under $200 and medium action, definitely try the 8'-9" TFO Finesse series. It really is a nice rod for the money.

Although more than you want to spend, if you can swing it, Red Truck Fly Fishing has two great rods on sale. One is a Loomis 9', 4wt Whispercreek GLX for $455 (regular $650) and the other is a Winston 9', 5wt WT for $562 (regular $750).

The Loomis is a bit faster than the Winston while the Winston is a true traditional medium action rod. I've got the Winston and I use it for everything except Delaware fishing. Both of these rods are great deals.

Swattie87 wrote:
Fortunately for me it doesn't come in the size I'm looking into to fill a gap in my lineup...7'6-8'0 5wt.

Welllllll unfortunately for me it came close enough though...8'0 4wt. Went back after work and bought it. Will just throw 5wt line with it when needed. Liked it more than all the other ones I had tried and was considering...Sage Vantage was close, but with the Redington at less than half the price, was an easy choice. Damn FF addiction.

I'll start a new thread for the breakdown of my purchase and notes on the ones I tried.

FYI:
The Joshua Green Corporation of Seattle, Washington today announced the creation of Far Bank Enterprises, a wholly owned subsidiary that will function as a holding company for the corporation’s fly fishing brands.

Far Bank Enterprises is an integrated manufacturer and distributor of fly fishing products which include fly fishing rods, fly reels, fly lines, leaders, tippets and performance outdoor apparel. Far Bank’s subsidiaries operate under the brand names of Sage, Redington and RIO.
This a bit dated.

Andy,
Pick up one of these blanks & build it yourself or have someone else build it for you. I used to sell them & have built many rods on them. The 2 pc blanks are medium in action. The 4 pc are slightly faster. Oh & the price is right.

http://store.seviermfg.com/section.php?xSec=2

I've NEVER built a rod...wouldn't know where to start! Something I would like to try some day though.

My vote is for the redington pursuit or redington voyant. Both are in the price range you stated. 120the torrent. 180 on the voyant. I have tons of redintgons and love them.

Today Sal let me use his Orvis Clearwater. I REALLY liked how it casts and felt in my hands. I'm not ruling out the others, as I need to cast them, but I was impressed and its in my price range.

Back