Help Protect PA’s Wild Trout Streams

Regarding the Endangered species laws one, I do agree the PFBC and game commission should be responsible for the review. As of now, the gas companies themselves are supposed to go looking for endangered species. Aside from the obvious conflict of interest, it's unclear how "thorough" they are supposed to be, and leaves them liable to accusations of not doing enough. With the fish/game commissions doing it, it'd be a little more scientific and consistent.

That said, Arway does have a point regarding funding. It shouldn't deflect the fact that the industry needs to be the one funding it, not hunters/fishermen or taxpayers. And if they want it done faster, they should put in more money. And yes, drilling activity should have to wait until the review is done on the area.

The old engineering principle. Good, fast, cheap, pick any two. Well, PA residents demand good. Since the gas industry should be paying for it, they can decide whether it's fast or cheap.

I would think this is something that the "impact fee" could be amended to cover regarding funding. That's what it was designed for. To pay the localities and agencies which are experiencing increased costs due to the industry. If the burden of the endangered species review falls on the fish/game commission, to me, that is absolutely increased costs caused by the industry, hence an appropriate use of impact fee money. If the impact fee needs to be raised, so be it, it shouldn't be a static amount but rather adjustable based on realities of the day.

This has liberal democrats written all over it

LetortAngler wrote:

LetortAngler - Not quite following. Were you responding to pcray pointing out that industry should incur some of the burden in exploiting resources that have real costs to others (all of us who live in pa)?

klingy wrote:
LetortAngler wrote:

LetortAngler - Not quite following. Were you responding to pcray pointing out that industry should incur some of the burden in exploiting resources that have real costs to others (all of us who live in pa)?

Yeah, he's obviously not talking about the bill itself.

If he is, then I'm really lost. :)

Back