Help Needed - Traveling from Georgia

J

jacketff

I am in Philly for lacrosse tournaments with my kids on back to back weekends, and looking to rent a lake house in Susquehana County near Montrose for the week of July 11-15. We will definitely fish in the lake all week, but looking for a few trout streams within an hour (or so) drive. The ones that popped up are Sugar Run and another near Forkston. Are either of these stocked? Any recommendations for good places to go for stream fly fishing? I'm better than average but my kids are beginners. Any help would be appreciated, and I am happy to share insight on where to fish in the N. Georgia mountains.

Hi Jacket - welcome to our online community.

There are a lot of trout streams (not to mention good river bass fishing) in central and northern PA. A good place to start your search would be the "Where to Fly Fish" button on the upper right side of this page. Also, search by county (use the Advanced Search) in the Stream Reports forum or search by stream name. There is a lot of info on the site.

Good luck with your trip.

I am not real sure of streams up that way. I know of one or two further south. Pm me if you would be interested in doing a little of driving. I love the Blue Ridge area in Georgia as I have fished it twice.

jacketff wrote:
I am in Philly for lacrosse tournaments with my kids on back to back weekends, and looking to rent a lake house in Susquehana County near Montrose for the week of July 11-15. We will definitely fish in the lake all week, but looking for a few trout streams within an hour (or so) drive. The ones that popped up are Sugar Run and another near Forkston. Are either of these stocked? Any recommendations for good places to go for stream fly fishing? I'm better than average but my kids are beginners. Any help would be appreciated, and I am happy to share insight on where to fish in the N. Georgia mountains.

I grew up near that area and have a cabin right near Forkston. There's not a lot of great wild trout or stocked trout in Susquehanna county in mid July. The streams would be back in the woods, hard for beginners to fish and likely quite warm and low that time of year.

Here is the wild trout map for map: http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=980
You can zoom into the area to check it out.

Knowing the area, if it were me, I would be psyched about hitting the upper north branch of the Susquehanna River for smallmouth. I would defy your kids not catch a whole bunch of rod-bending smallies on the River. Great Bend is a great place to fish the Susky and is short drive from where you are staying.

Bring your 6 or 7 weight rods and load up on buggers, streamers and poppers.

Good luck.

Back