Help me update my gear

Ya either need a longer net handle or do like I do and yank em into the shallows and get in front of them, wrestle them into submission.

Seriously, unless you are catching 20” fish I ain’t buying the “rod length makes a difference”argument. And then I say longer is better. It cushions the abrupt surges and runs to also helps a bit to get the rod below the fish’s head when downstream to apply side pressure. In addition during a quick run toward you it can pick up line faster than a 9 footer.

I don’t see a downfall to the 10’ rod for steelheading or landing big fish. Plus, when nymphing it is a great advantage reaching across currents and mending.

So focus your rod length on catching the fish first, then consider the landing downfalls if any.

My set up is a 10’ 7wt and 10’ 6 weight. I far prefer them over the 9’ 7 wt I started with. But it was a tip flex and I used to break fish off trying to turn them, just not so much anymore.

I am with Dave w. I think a shorter rod makes it easier to fight and land fish. I see a noticeable difference landing fish between an 8 and 9 foot rod let alone a 10.

I often fish 12 foot leaders and I never use a net unless I'm in a boat so I think that makes a big difference. This is also why i cut the loops off my fly line and nail knot my leader to my fly line. I have no problem getting the nail knot through the guides.

I used a 10 foot rod for steelhead for a long time but I've switched to a 9 footer and only use a 10 with sinking line. I don't nymph for steelhead anymore but I agree a 10 foot rod is much better for that than a 9 foot rod.

Is there anyone that bought a 4wt. 10ft. and regretted it because it was too long to fish with?

Back