Help me get started?

Pontus

Pontus

Well... I have about 6 hours fly fishing experience from a guided trip, and I'm officially in love with the sport. So I'm looking to get started, but have no idea how to do it.

I've been reading threads on here and have been doing some research about what equipment I should get. I would be doing most of my fishing on small creeks/streams in Maryland or Southern PA, and would also like to fish dry flies as much as possible. Because of this, I was thinking of getting the Cabela's Three Forks 7'6'' 3wt combo. Is this a good idea?

I'll also probably need help with flies, but I'm thinking that I'll just go to a local fly shop and get the most popular designs for that.

For spring and summer wading, will I need waders right now? I'd like to avoid spending a lot of money to get started, but if I catch onto it and really stick with it, I would buy waders for fall and winter fishing, definitely. Would I be OK wading in a pair of timberland boots and shorts? Or old sneakers, maybe?

And I guess my only other question is if I'm forgetting something? I want to get started as soon as possible so I can enjoy a nice long season.

Define small creeks? If you mean for 3-6" brookies, then the short 3 weight is fine, if you mean something that is 10-15 feet across with stockies, then you would be better served with an 8'6"-9' 4-5wt. The three forks is a nice starter rod.

Also check out http://www.albrightflyfish.com/
they have some cheap equipment and have heard nothing but good things from them. I'm buying a rod from them in a few weeks.

Waders you "can" wear some old shoes, but I would recommend some real wading boots. Most streams get "slippery when wet" and a good pair of boots will help with your footing... plus when you put your waders on your old shoes will probably not fit as they will be a good size or 2 small.

Good idea for checking a local shop for flies, they will help you get started. Try http://www.theflystop.com/ for some inexpensive hand tied flies.

You'll also need some tippet, split shot, floatant, nippers, and hemostats for some basic tools and gear. Also either a vest or chestpack to hold everything in and a fly box or two (just get a cheapo box from walmart to start)

Good luck and have fun

also ask questions on good places to go by you and check out the events forum to see our annual fishing JAM where a bunch of us get together every year and fish for a long weekend. It'll be a good place for some tips and some help from experienced fly fishermen.

I would imagine that I'll be fishing both small, wild trout, and maybe a few stocked trout on larger streams if there are any nearby. I guess I should probably see what's around me before I decide on my rod size. If I wanted to be able to do both, would the 8'6'' 5wt Three Forks be my best bet? Also, how would that hold up if I were to fish a smallmouth or two?

Can I get everything else you mentioned at a standard fly shop?

Pontus,
Welcome to our online fly fishing (FFing) community and welcome to your new passion. In a few months or years you can join the rest of us chumps like ryguyfy and myself in our twelve step program for addicts. ;-)

Anyway, Ry gave you good advice on the basics. You can get pretty much all you asked about, plus good advice, from a local fly shop. I too would recommend a bit "bigger" rod - maybe an 8' for 5WT. This would be fine on the streams here in southcentral PA and MD that I frequent. It's often a bit easier for a beginner to use a slightly longer rod on a smaller creek than vice versa. Although on the light side for river smallmouths, it will suffice for throwing poppers on a big river like the Potomac. If you decide you really want to stick with this sport you can always get a longer rod for a 7WT. I'd recommend hip boots for your trout fishing on smaller streams. Hip boots cost less than waders and will cover most bases. During the summer, you can wade "wet" (meaning short pants and sneakers) for river bass. If you haven't already done so, check out the blog on the homepage of this site. There is an on-going blog for beginners regarding getting started with gear etc. Keep posting on this site with questions and we'll happily keep answering.

Awesome. Thanks again for the advice. I think that I'll probably go 8 ft, and I'll try to get out to a fly shop this weekend. I'll post again with any questions or maybe after my first trip out.

Edit: I have arranged to go out with an avid fly fishing friend of mine next weekend. I'll be using mostly his equipment, and hopefully he'll be showing me the basics of getting started with the sport.

Good advice mentioned above. I'd suggest an 8' 4wt. There are plenty of threads on flies as well, but for a beginner with almost no experience just buy some adams in size 14, 16, 18, elk hair caddis in 16, pheasant tails in 16, hares ears in 14 and some buggers in a 10. You can build up your box from there if the sport suits you. If you want to focus on dry fly fishing, learn to tie a dropper off your dry. Lots of fish will take the nymph over the dry.

Hope you enjoy the sport and ask plenty of quesitons.

I do almost all of my fishing with a 7'9" 4 weight, however it is at a disadvantage on streams larger than 30- 40 ft. across. I manage to fish larger streams with it though and the next bigger rod I have is a 9' 7 weight, which is what I consider my ideal river rod.

I have a 7' 5 weight as well that is good for tight quarters and small streams it also handles medium sized streams well, but I decided a 3 weight would have to wait due to it's limitations as being for small fish and small streams only.

I still want one very badly though, if only for special occassions fishing for small finicky wild trout with small lightweight nymphs and flies, which is the ideal purpose for such a rod.

FWIW, I never thought I was hampered by trout streams with an 8' 4wt.

It wasn't until I added a 5wt back to the mix that I realized how much easier it was to sling lead and streamers with it than the rod just one weight lower.

So, my view? If you know only trout streams and creeks are on your agenda, I'd buy an 7'6" to 8'6" 4wt. If you plan on trying to do anything above and beyond, I'd buy an 8'6" 5wt.

It may not be much of a difference, but I definatly notice it.

You don't need waders, but they're nice. When I started, I dropped $20 on a pair of rubber hip boots at ****'s. If you wanted to do wet wading, you can, but maybe its wroth considering buying a pair of wading boots and the neoprene booties? You want the boots bigger so they fit over your eventual waders, but the booties will help take up the excess space, or a pair of thick hiking socks can work.

Flies are easy, and there's a thread about this very subject somewhere here, I think.

People in this hobby have a tendency to overcomplicate things, so keep that in mind. Even this very message got overly complicated, and I didn't want it to.

You'll embrace this complexity soon enough...

Like Gfen said, I fished with a 7' 6" 4 weight for years on all types of water, large and small, and I liked it enough that when I upgraded I stayed with a four weight only 3" longer than my first four weight.

I like that it is not too big a rod for small 10 ft. wide streams, yet it can still handle larger trout streams fairly well.

Cabela's Prestige Fly-Fishing Outfits

Can someone look at this and tell me what they think of it as a starter? Will I be wishing that I went with something better after a week or two?

Echo Carbon Combo

And what about this one?

And my friend's mom will be in the hospital this weekend so no fishing... I guess I have to keep waiting.

I have an 8 ft. 4wt. echo carbon I use on smaller streams or throwing dries, as to does with great delicacy. Casts better than other rods that cost twice as much, not to mention its great looking and has a lifetime warranty. I would def. recommend this in a 4 or 5 wt. for a first rod.

hi, im looking for some advice. i have been fly fishing for a couple years now, always with floating line. im looking into doing some fishing with a sinking line. after my fly line, what should my leader and tippett look like? i know its shorter than what im used to with a floating line. i thank you all in advance for any and all advice.

Usually the best leader for a sinking tip or sinking line is really no leader at all, just 3-5' of heavy mono or flouro to keep the fly down in the depths. For still water, full sinking might be best to reach the depths, and for moving water, I believe a sink tip is easier to control (mend) and cast. Good luck.

"Because of this, I was thinking of getting the Cabela's Three Forks 7'6'' 3wt combo. Is this a good idea?"

In my opinion, after having fly fished for fifty years, it is not a good idea to go out and buy a 7 1/2' rod for a #3 line. You may think it is a good idea but believe me you are limiting yourself to smaller flies and pray for windless days. If you are planning to fish streams like the Gunpowder, Yellow Breeches, or Codorus Creek I'd recommend a 8" #5. Once you master your casting skills you can always underline the #5 to a #4 if you want more delicacy.

I have over twenty fly rods and two of them are #3 weights. One is a Sage LL 8' 9" I built and the other is a 8' 6" I also built. I've not used the Sage LL in about fifteen years and I only use the 8' 6" #3 during the summer when fishing Tricos.

Many guys may tell you that the #3 is fine but if you are going to want to throw even a small streamer like a #10 or #12 you will enjoy it more, and get better distance, with less effort with the WF#5 rod and line.

I live in York and work in the Gander Mountain store on Rte 30 Monday's and Saturdays (usually) If you are ever in the area on either of those days and want some info relative to flies, rods, whatever stop in and go to the Fishing Department.

BTW I strongly recommend purchasing chest waders because with hip boots you will soon forget the depth you are wading and wind up fgetting wet. If you are tall you might like a pair of waist waders. I have a pair from LL Bean and they were a great buy at $99. I'm pretty tall so when I have mine on they are pretty much the height of regular chest waders on guys who are less than 5'9".

thanks for the advice. i kind of knew, i just dont want to get on the water with too many doubts. i was in maryland, using a friends reel, catching shad on deer creek. i plan on going back within the next couple days. i want to have my own set-up, ready to go. this site has always been good to me. take care, have fun and good luck.

Ok so I'm ordering everything I need for now from Cabela's tomorrow. I plan on getting the 8'4wt Echo Carbon combo. I'm trying to just get the bare bones so I can get out and fish this may, and I'll build up my stuff if it catches on.

What size leader and tippet do I get for 4wt line?

And so far I have rod, reel, line, flies, flotant, split shot, forceps, and nippers covered. Waders and vest will be handled in person at a shop. Am I missing anything?

I'd get tippet from 3X to 6X, a couple 7.5 foot leaders tapered to 3X and a couple 9 foot leaders tapered to 4X. The shorter leaders should make a good base for nymphing or tight streams. The 9 foot leaders are a nice base for dry fly fishing.

for under 10 bucks, Cabela's sells a combo of 4 spools of 3x, 4x, 5x, and 6x

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20510&id=0011199319207a&navCount=4&podId=0011199&parentId=cat20510&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20510&hasJS=true

Good deal. Alby's right on the leader too. 9' 4x...they sell 4pks that'll save you money as well.

These are on sale and the price is for 4!!!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20510&id=0011215310972a&navCount=8&podId=0011215&parentId=cat20510&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20510&hasJS=true

Alright guys everything is on its way. Thanks a lot for all of your help. I'll be sure to post with pictures when I head out this weekend.

I also found out that there's a solid 2 mile stretch of FFO water that flows right through my neighborhood. I might scout it tomorrow to get ready for the weekend.

Back