Help me find a breathable shorty rain jacket!

wbranch

wbranch

Okay I'm sending an SOS to all you guys out there for some suggestions for a breathable material packable short hooded rain jacket. It does not have to be Gore-Tex but it needs to keep me dry in a hard T-storm for at least twenty minutes.

It need not even have any pockets. My biggest issues are it has to be packable into the back pocket of my Simms shorty vest. I'm thinking when it's folded it is about 1.5" thick x 5" wide x 8" long. I want it to have either elasticized, or Velcro closure, cuffs. I have a summer weight breathable jacket now but it does not pack well and when I stuff it into my vest I look more like the Hunchback of Norte Dam than a well dressed fly angler. I'd like it to cost no more than $150 but might be willing to spend up to $200. Thanks!

Please delete. I purchased a jacket.

Well, that was a pretty quick turn around.

Anyway, just thought I'd add that I was looking for the exact same thing a year ago.
Wanted a basic rain coat that was small and thin enough to carry in my vest. Just something to keep me dry - no frills
I settled on the Orvis encounter wading jacket. And am quite happy with it.
Got it for a great price too. It lists for $100 - plus I had a $25 off coupon

I see you already got one, just wanted to mention there are some really packable rainjackets out there now for the backpacking/running/biking crowd. some of them aren't cheap, but they roll up the size of a tennis ball. This is just one example, most of the outdoor equipment makers are offering something similar.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens/jackets/mens-helium-ii-jacket.html

I settled on the Orvis encounter wading jacket

That is the jacket I had wanted but it appears that Orvis either stopped selling them or had none in stock. However I searched all over the Internet and found a fly shop in WY that had quite a few and I got it for $98.00.

I have a steelhead wading jacket that is great for raw weather but is not meant to be packed in the vest. I also have a spring weight jacket but even when I fold it carefully I still look like the Hunchback of Norte Dame when I stuff it into my vest.

This packable rain jacket will fill my needs for sudden T-storms during my annual two weeks to Montana and other summer trips.

wbranch wrote:
I settled on the Orvis encounter wading jacket

That is the jacket I had wanted but it appears that Orvis either stopped selling them or had none in stock. However I searched all over the Internet and found a fly shop in WY that had quite a few and I got it for $98.00.

I have a steelhead wading jacket that is great for raw weather but is not meant to be packed in the vest. I also have a spring weight jacket but even when I fold it carefully I still look like the Hunchback of Norte Dame when I stuff it into my vest.

This packable rain jacket will fill my needs for sudden T-storms during my annual two weeks to Montana and other summer trips.

Kinda surprised to hear that they're, apparently, not readily available anymore. I believe that Orvis just brought the Encounter jacket out a year or two ago.
Maybe it was the low price, and they weren't making enough money on it?
When I bought mine - from an Orvis store in Pittsburgh - they had 3 different rain jackets for sale - at $100, $200, and $400.
Of course, the clerk tried to talk me into buying one of the more expensive ones

Back