help matching this fly

This is a comparadun style dry fly without a tail. Nothing else - there isn't any need to complicate this at all.

I agree not to get hung up on a "magic fly" because there is no such thing, which is where I want to go with this thread. There is no need for a million flies in a box and carrying multiple boxes. No need to match the hatch perfectly. There are dry flies and wet flies. Point is proven this Fly may not imitate a specific insect as many people have ideas as what they think the fly picture may imitate. I would call it a very generic dry fly and that is what he suggested. Its a "Dry Fly" that imitates and fly on the surface. lol
Agreed it is mostly about presentation!!!! size of the fly is important too. but it must be drag free, out of sight from fish , do not line the fish and be persistent. If a fish did not take the fly immediately and make the mistake of taking the fly the first, second or third time.... eventually the fish ate it. Every fish we saw rise more then once he would catch. One mistake by the fish and its hooked! Like someone said he could carry his fly selection in a pill bottle. I plan on keeping my fly box simple stupid and working on other areas of my fishing. its all about presentation.... eventually a fish will slip and eat it.

Do you guys normally tie comparaduns with the butts of the deer hair facing the hook eye? I tie them with the butts facing the point. I use a comparadun with an antron shuck (I guess its a sparkle dun) probably more than any other fly.

Back