Help in Identifying a Vintage Spool

Rainier42

Rainier42

Greetings all ... am new to fly fishing and the paflyfish community.

Last year my wife's step dad passed from alzheimers in MA. He was an avid fly fisherman and supporter of TU. Prior to his passing, he gave me his fly collection, fishing vest, and a spool from a fly reel. Am currently trying to identify the reel so that I can locate a frame and use it. Unfortunately there are no markings on it and, so far, have come up with nothing. Have attached a couple of photos and am hoping maybe one of you might recognize it. Appreciate any help you might be able to give me. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4058.jpeg
    IMG_4058.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4059.jpeg
    IMG_4059.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 4
Welcome Rainier. We're glad you've joined our online FF community.

Regarding the spool, I don't recognize it.
It looks older due to the lack of a counterweight and seems to have a well made release button mechanism.

We have a lot of folks on this site who know their FF gear better than I do so we'll see if someone can nail it.

I would ask over at fiberglassflyrodders. Those are the guys that really know vintage gear.
Likely get your answer in a day if.

Just at a glance, it looks like it might either be a Martin or a Shakespeare from back when the latter was still making decent fly reels.

But that is as close or specific as I could hazard a guess and it may well not be close at all even to brand, let alone model.

I think the suggestion to show it to the fiberglass guys is a good one..

Or the cane guys at classic fly rod forum. Looks like 40 teeth on that gear. Likely came from high quality. Putting a ruler in the photo might help as well

You said the man was an avid fly fisherman....Any chance he gave another relative the reel? Assuming he had quite a bit of FFing gear.

Thank you all for your responses ... I will try the forums you suggest and retake photos with a ruler on top. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law disposed of other gear before I had a chance to spend time going through and so the reel itself is long gone.

Back