Hello from York/Lancaster

J

JMow

Hey all, I recently moved from Ephrata to Wrightsville this past month. I began fly fishing this year in mostly warmwater creeks to spice things up from conventional techniques and have fallen in love with the nuances of fly fishing. I am 25 and while I did catch a few trout this year in some of the more easily accessible Lancaster Co. coldwater creeks I am planning on focusing on trout until the dog days of summer in 2024.

Since I am right on the border of York and Lancaster counties with plenty of trout streams an hour or less away I am excited to delve into the sport more. For those familiar with the Trout Unlimited chapters (Donegal and Muddy Creek specifically) if I had to pick one to join which one do you think would be better to join as a beginner? Would I feel out of place at my age at either of these during meetings? I am about halfway between each chapter's meeting place so I am met with a (fortunate) dilemma picking which chapter to support.

I look forward to learning and communicating with the community on here and I could always use tips for this area specifically, I am originally from Columbia county (until Age 22) and am still learning the local area down here!

Welcome. This site really accelerated my own learning curve back in the day...

You won’t go wrong with either TU Chapter there. Maybe consider visiting both for a meeting or three.

^+1
I know a few people who participate in projects/activities of two chapters.

Since I am right on the border of York and Lancaster counties with plenty of trout streams an hour or less away I am excited to delve into the sport more
From the center of Wrightsville you can be to the 2 closest wild brown trout streams in 5 min. Another is 5 min farther at the most. It’s less than 15 min to a very good population of wild trout. All are in York Co. Your closest wild brook trout stream is about a 15-20 min drive, although it’s a low density population with the benefit, however, of 7-10 inch fish. Many of York Co’s stocked trout streams also support small to moderate wild brown populations depending upon the particular stretches that you fish. It’s the only county in SE Pa where I typically ran into trout anglers all summer long in waters that were managed under general statewide regs. That should tell you a little bit about how good the fishing is. Purely from a wild trout fishing standpoint, you are better off in Wrightsville than almost anywhere in Lancaster Co except for the river hills area of southern Lancaster Co.

Last edited:
From the center of Wrightsville you can be to the 2 closest wild brown trout streams in 5 min. Another is 5 min farther at the most. It’s less than 15 min to a very good population of wild trout. All are in York Co. Your closest wild brook trout stream is about a 15-20 min drive, although it’s a low density population with the benefit, however, of 7-10 inch fish. Many of York Co’s stocked trout streams also support small to moderate wild brown populations depending upon the particular stretches that you fish. It’s the only county in SE Pa where I typically ran into trout anglers all summer long in waters that were managed under general statewide regs. That should tell you a little bit about how good the fishing is. Purely from a wild trout fishing standpoint, you are better off in Wrightsville than almost anywhere in Lancaster Co except for the river hills area of southern Lancaster Co.
That’s awesome to hear and gives me a bit of motivation to venture out! I had a feeling the area was “fishy” when I was in the process of moving so good to hear that my gut was right

Welcome aboard. GG

Welcome to the site from a born and bred central NYer. I've been tying flies for over 50 years and hosting swaps for the past 14 years. Feel free to check out one of my swaps on thios site -always happy to see new faces!

I look forward to seeing your posts.

Kim

Hey all, I recently moved from Ephrata to Wrightsville this past month. I began fly fishing this year in mostly warmwater creeks to spice things up from conventional techniques and have fallen in love with the nuances of fly fishing. I am 25 and while I did catch a few trout this year in some of the more easily accessible Lancaster Co. coldwater creeks I am planning on focusing on trout until the dog days of summer in 2024.

Since I am right on the border of York and Lancaster counties with plenty of trout streams an hour or less away I am excited to delve into the sport more. For those familiar with the Trout Unlimited chapters (Donegal and Muddy Creek specifically) if I had to pick one to join which one do you think would be better to join as a beginner? Would I feel out of place at my age at either of these during meetings? I am about halfway between each chapter's meeting place so I am met with a (fortunate) dilemma picking which chapter to support.

I look forward to learning and communicating with the community on here and I could always use tips for this area specifically, I am originally from Columbia county (until Age 22) and am still learning the local area down here!
Muddy Creek TU is meeting this Wednesday at the pizza shop in Felton @7:00PM if you want to grab a bite to eat we meet at 6:30PM.

Muddy Creek TU is meeting this Wednesday at the pizza shop in Felton @7:00PM if you want to grab a bite to eat we meet at 6:30PM.
JMOW and All,

MCTU meeting for December 20,2023 was cancelled at the last General Meeting. The chapter will resume General Meetings on January 17, 2024. Likely at the Pizza shop but check the website www.muddycreektu.org for location closer to the date.

We also have a Cabin Fever event coming up on February 3, 2024 at the Stewartstown American Legion from noon til 4pm.

Look forward to meeting you.

Back