Hello from Southeastern PA!

MegaTrout

MegaTrout

Hi, everyone. I've been reading posts on this forum for the better part of this year, so I finally decided to make an account. I picked up fly fishing around May, tried to fish through the summer only to learn that it's not really the season for fly fishing in most spots in PA because the water temps are too hot or the stream levels are too low, and I've started fishing again now that we're into October and the temps have cooled. A friend of mine and I hired a guide last weekend and did great, at least for beginners! We caught a total of nine trout in two half-days with the guide. I've noticed a lot of people are protective of fishing spots, but I found a few over the summer to which I'd like to return now. I've also found some God-awful spots where I didn't see a single fish or anything that looked like fish activity (these were all Class A streams, too). People seem to be very protective of good fishing spots, so I won't ask for any, but I will say that I'm interested in wild trout streams. I don't love the concept of stocking, and I've read articles that stocking can be detrimental to the ecosystem.

All in all, I'm excited to be here and hopefully can get out on the stream again soon!

Also, I carved a trout pumpkin last night. :)

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (2).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (2).jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 38
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 17
Welcome. There are plenty of places to fly fish in PA during the summer. Just have to realize you can fly fish for more than trout. Plenty of warm water fishing in the state.

Thanks, and gotcha! I’ve heard people fly fish for bass in the summer, but I haven’t looked into it.

If you are allowed, country club water hazards are great places to flyfish during the summer. If you want to just practice casting without getting your feet wet, there are probably public parks with ponds in your area. You'll even have an audience if you happen to catch sunfish and bass with a fly rod. The last time I was at Kennett Square (for work), I walked through a park that had a big rectangle pond that was supposedly stocked with trout. It may have been for kids only... I can't remember.

Back