Hello from MD

cpc1027

cpc1027

I just registered and wanted to say hi! I am pretty new to fly fishing, so I'm mostly here to learn. I found this site while doing research for local information, and it looks like it's going to be a good place to hang out and pick up some information, and contribute where I can.

I first started fly fishing about a year and a half ago when I read about Tenkara while researching backpacking equipment. The portability, relative simplicity, fairly inexpensive qualities all contributed to my start with Tenkara. I have been having a lot of fun with Tenkara, but I found it a little out of it's element in some of larger waters around me, such as the Gunpowder. I felt like there were fish lies that I couldn't reach with Tenkara, and so I picked up a Cabelas Prestige starter combo when they were on sale a week or so ago. I took it out for the first time this morning, and caught my first two fish nymphing with new rod in the Gunpowder. The different techniques that are necessary for the traditional fly rod (shooting line, mending, etc.) will take some learning, but I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for letting me join the party!

Welcome to the forum. One way to start is to watch videos on casting, practice on grass or water and use this forum to ask questions.

Welcome to the Jungle!

If you are free on July 26th, we are gathering at the Little Lehigh for the Fish and Chips cookout. Lots of instruction will be available along with good food and fun!

Checkout the threads in the Fly Fishing Events and Meetups section

Dave

CPC welcome. You will never stop leaning here. I've been FF for 43 yrs. I learn new things here all the time. You will never stop learning.

GenCon

djs12354 wrote:
Welcome to the Jungle!

If you are free on July 26th, we are gathering at the Little Lehigh for the Fish and Chips cookout. Lots of instruction will be available along with good food and fun!

Checkout the threads in the Fly Fishing Events and Meetups section

Dave

I appreciate the invitation, but I'll be on vacation at the Outer Banks on the 26th. Maybe I'll be able to make the next one though.

Vacation is actually going to cause me to break my streak. Until then, I will have trout fished for at least a few hours every weekend since 1 March. I think I'll manage to suffer though a week at the beach with no trout though :-D

Welcome aboard, grew up in Harford county myself. Good to see another angler joining the ranks, you've got a great stream in the gunpowder I fished it a lot for smallmouth & sunnies but much further downstream from where the trout are.

Welcome aboard. GG

Welcome - there are several folks on this board who call the Gunpowder their home water, myself included. You will learn a lot here.

Welcome. The GP is the closest stream to my house. Fished it this past Thursday. Got 3 below RT 45.

Tenkara? Tenkara, isn't the translation of that word, "to fish with a handicap". ;-)

Its simplicity does look inviting but I have too many circumstances where it is not sufficient. I was fishing the Pax below Brighton Dam this spring. I met a fisherman who made a trip back to his car to get his standard rod. He likes the tenkara but again, does not have the functionality of others.

Just my 2 cents.

Again, welcome.

PS. It's far for you but the Pax below the dam gets a lot of stocked fish. My TU chapter put more than 2000 fish in a 2 mile stretch.
You'll need to check out the shad in Deer Creek next March- good fishing close to your home.

BelAirSteve wrote:
Welcome - there are several folks on this board who call the Gunpowder their home water, myself included. You will learn a lot here.

Howdy Neighbor!

MD_Gene wrote:
Welcome. The GP is the closest stream to my house. Fished it this past Thursday. Got 3 below RT 45.

Tenkara? Tenkara, isn't the translation of that word, "to fish with a handicap". ;-)

Its simplicity does look inviting but I have too many circumstances where it is not sufficient. I was fishing the Pax below Brighton Dam this spring. I met a fisherman who made a trip back to his car to get his standard rod. He likes the tenkara but again, does not have the functionality of others.

Just my 2 cents.

Again, welcome.

PS. It's far for you but the Pax below the dam gets a lot of stocked fish. My TU chapter put more than 2000 fish in a 2 mile stretch.
You'll need to check out the shad in Deer Creek next March- good fishing close to your home.

Thanks for the tips!

Regarding Tenkara, it is definitely out of its element on big water, however, I have had a blast for the past year or so fishing with Tenkara on the smaller feeder streams where reach is not a problem. That's not to say that you can't use it in big water, it just may not be the best tool for the job. Also, I have had so much fun with Tenkara, it has been my gateway drug to conventional fly rods. The overwhelming amount of gear, flies, and technique kept my interest in conventional fly fishing from becoming an active hobby for some time. Even if Tenkara has limited application in this area, it's a great tool that's easy to learn with and introduce new people to fly fishing. The small collapsed size and minimal tackle that it requires also makes it great to throw in the pack for hiking and backpacking, or even just as a backup rod for a normal day on the water. I am still a novice fisherman with Tenkara and conventional fly rods, but I'd be happy to meet up and let anyone who is interested give my Tenkara gear a try.

PS. Sorry for the multi posts. I'm not used to this particular forum software and I haven't figured out the multi quote yet. Maybe it's because I'm on my phone...

Back