Hello All

R

RickyAyers

Hello everyone I am new to this site and was wondering I bought a Scientific Anglers rod and reel combo years ago from wal-mart. Was curious if it was an alright beginner fly rod for now. I put Backing, Floating line not sure if it was WF or DT, the tapered leader and the tippet. I know I will have to replace the leader and tippet and more than likely the floating fly line. Ok the rod is a 9' 5/6 weight and the reel is a 5/8. Its a cheap combo because I wasn't sure if I would get into it but now after looking at videos and watching TV I was thinking of getting more into it with possibly some fly-tying later. I do not have any waders and was wondering on suggestions on some waders but I have had neoprene in the past and due to being a larger guy I simply do not care for there snug fit. Looking into some breathables and some decent non-felted boots. I eventually want to upgrade to a better more quality setup but as of now it doesn't look like its going to happen until tax time next year. Any suggestions for a new flyfisher such as myself would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Sorry for all the questions please let me know if I am asking too many and again thank you.

Don't apologize about the questions. That is what the beginner forum is for. I would think it would be a good rod to practice and see if it is something you want to continue on with. My best suggestion with is to go to a local store and try a few pairs on and see what is comfortable. If they are a little expensive then try Amazon or Ebay but try some on first!!

Also as far as gear, you could check craigslist as well and see if there is a decent setup there. Even some yard sales but for now I would just practice practice practice and try that rod out to start before moving on. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, some cheap rods are pretty good, even excellent, while others are pretty poor. The same goes for expensive rods! So can't help you there other than to say rod choices are very personal, so go with it for a bit and see if you like the rod you have. If you do buy a new rod, rods last for life, so it's often a better idea to get a decent one rather than go cheap and then buy another a few years later. But you have the luxury of learning what you like in a rod first with the one you have, and then shopping if necessary.

Waders are essentially a necessity. Breathables start sub $100 and go way up from there. The biggest difference is how long they last. But none of them last more than 4 or 5 years of heavy fishing, and for me, most are more like 3. So some of it depends how much you think you'll be on stream, and really, if you price it in dollars per hour of fishing, there ain't that much difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones, spending more merely saves you the hassle. So unlike rods, I'd recommend staying cheaper. If you really get into the sport, you'll start springing leaks a year or two down the road and then you can replace them however you want.

Get stocking foot waders and wading boots, much more comfortable that way. Never found a pair of bootfoots I really liked. Plus more versatile, you can eventually have different waders and different boots for different streams, and when one wears out, you don't have to replace everything.

Wading boots, like regular boots, depend on the cut and shape of your foot. So get what fits right. For me, Chota made boots always seem to fit me well and hold up to abuse. I use studded felts. Felts are generally cheaper and better grip than lug soles. But they do transfer invasives so you have to be careful to clean them properly between outings. The cheaper rubber soles are very slick on wet rock, downright dangerous for some streams. But some of the newer ones, by the reviews, seem to be closing the gap on felt in "grippiness". It's just the good ones are generally only done by expensive brands who have done the R&D, though they're starting to find their way into the mid-range models. They do dry MUCH quicker, lessening the concern over invasives.

Good luck!

Ok I have never cleaned my fly line and noticed the last time I went out the first 5 or 6 foot of the floating line was sinking in the water could it possibly be dirty or is it just time to replace it. Same with the leader and tippet. I have been spinfishing for a while now and change it yearly should i do the the same with my fly gear. I have looked on other websites and really have found no help in that area.

Rick,

Welcome to the Jungle.......

I'm just a newbie myself, but there are plenty of anglers here who will provide good answers to all your questions. Read the various sections of this forum and you will learn from some very knowledgeable Fly-Fishers.

Dave

I might head out to huntingdon next week on what is known as the swimming hole with a wooly bugger and see what I can muster up there is fall fish, smallmouth, and rock bass in that area. And who knows maybe even go out to the Little J sometime this year. And I am very happy to be apart of this forum it looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum so I will continue browsing through the beginners section for as much help as I can get on here.

You should clean fly lines, but lots of us (including me) are guilty of not doing it nearly enough. I do it once or twice a year.

Usually a decent quality fly line lasts me 2 or 3 years. If you clean it, and it doesn't float well, that's when you know it's time to replace. If you inspect there are often little cracks on it.

Leaders and tippet, well, usually with changes, rebuilds and such I use em up well before I wear em out. But I make my own and adjust often, so I dunno what to tell ya. They're cheap, if you think it's not performing, replace it.

Welcome aboard. GG

Thank you pcray I just looked at my fly line while cleaning it with warm water and a rag and noticed several nicks in the line that has dirt lodged in it maybe I will just replace it.

Another noob question when I do get the casting down and start catching fish and then decide to try a little tougher stream to tackle for trout. Is there a website or something that goes for specifically trout fly patterns or flies to buy for trout in Pennsylvania. I know Spruce creek outfitters is not too far from me I might stop on over next week and ask him some questions. I know about the pheasant tail, and hare's ear and the various dry flies. But pretty much nothing about midges or wet flies. Any point in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Here is 2 pictures one of my rod and the weight and the other of the reel

http://s1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/chetty82/?action=view&current=007-1.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/7ql7xo5

So Shirk81, you're suggesting he go to the local fly shop, use their expertise, try out their rods, then buy on eBay!!!! Niiiiiice.

Welcome to the forum. Here's a thread on a nicked fly line that may buy you some time before getting a new line especially considering you will be spending money on waders, boots and a lot of small stuff.

The thread does not mention cleaning or treating the line but there is another recent thread on that. I like a silicone paste for my line.

I have lines that are 10 years old and they are still good because I've have not used them that much (I've been away from fly fishing for about 6 years).

Good luck and don't stop asking questions.

STONEMAN wrote:
So Shirk81, you're suggesting he go to the local fly shop, use their expertise, try out their rods, then buy on eBay!!!! Niiiiiice.

I think it's better to buy at the local fly shop. You may pay a little more but that is made up for by all of the free advice they give you.

Welcome Rick!

I just purchased an inexpensive pair of waders from ****s with boots attached and will probably return them. Pcray's advice is spot on and I felt very uncomfortable with no ankle support.

If you get a chance try to make up to the Lil Lehigh for one of Fox's gatherings.

no no no no...I meant the waders. Flies and fly rods I get them from local shops. I wouldn't get a rod from ebay.

Buying from local shops is always good. Not just for the shop but for local economies. But if you are on a really tight budget, sometimes it is better to get certain things online, things like waders.

I didn't mean it like "screw over the local shop" My waders I tried on at ****'s then got them online for a lot cheaper and they were the same pair. Usually get my flies from TCO\Cabelas (I know they aren't technically a local shop but some of the guys in Hamburg give good advice) and I would really like to get to the one called Heritage in Allentown.

If its in Allentown thats over 3 hour drive for me. Not saying that I wouldn't go it is just my wife would not be too thrilled with having a 5 week old and a 4 year old all to herself. Grant it when I go to work she says that's different but until my daughter gets older I think I am confined to Huntingdon county for now. Gonna try to get out of the house next tuesday or wednesday for a little bit.

I must have not typed waders, sorry for the confusion..

Actually is there any parks or anything like that out that way my wife said we could go camping next year out that way and that I could get away for a little while and do some flyfishing.

There may be area's around LL. But I know there are some camp sites in New Ringgold that is near the Little Schuylkill. Aren't there any streams your way? I am not familiar with that area.

The little Juniata I am pretty close to it Alexandria, Pa is where I live. And other areas around like Penns and Spring also where the jam is going to be held this year.

Back