Hellgrammites

Here's my hellgrammite. . .

I love these bugs and June is prime time. Often, when river fishing is slow, I'll kick around and roll rocks in riffles on the Susky or Juniata River. Hellgrammite nymphs are common in the fast water sections and some are quite large, up to nearly 3 inches in length.

If you release a helgy nymph high in the water column where there isn't a lot of current, you will note that they dive straight to the bottom with a strong wiggle movement. . . which probably explains the efficacy of patterns tied with marabou or rabbit strip. Don't hesitate to impart some jigging action when fishing helgy nymphs.

Also, a characteristic I point out is that many helgy fly patterns are black. Most of the helgy nymphs I see are much lighter: their heads/thorax tend to be dark brown, almost a mahogany tone, but the longer abdomens are usually in the mid-gray to medium brown or olive tone. Like most nymphs, they're lighter on the underside.
Certainly not a critique, but just a bit of info for those who get very specific about their flies and aquatic insects. This beautiful imitation is a fishfly, not a dobsonfly. I think anglers generally refer to both as hellgrammites, however, and I doubt that the SMB care. To them, both represent dinner.

I've assumed all this time that these were hellgrammites (Dobsonflies).
The bugs I thought were fishfly nymphs look similar but are smaller(?).
Hhmm. . .

Anyway, they're very common and folks using them for bait do indeed call 'em hellgrammites.

Fishflies or Dobsonflies. . . here's a photo of these bugs with one of the patterns described.

Attachments

• HG3.jpg
    HG3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I've always believed that we have many more helgrammites in the Juniata than we do fishflies. I have looked up the distinctive differences in the past and have firmly settled on the dobsonfly being more common around me but maybe I am wrong.

Either way, people around here love em for bait. Those and "stonecats" are certainly the best smallmouth live baits.

Back