Hellgrammites

J

JasonC

Are they widespread across PA streams or localized to specific areas? Anyone tie any imitations of them and have success? Any specific season?

The Woolly Bugger was originally intended to be a hellgrammite imitation, so I'd say that lots of people tie them and fish them with some success.

After getting stuck in a strong storm this spring on Penns Creek a buddy and I suddenly saw a handful of nymphs on the trail. Went and looked it up and it turns out some people think a storm triggers them to crawl out of the water. The pertinent info from this page is below.

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/eastern_dobsonfly.htm

"When ready to pupate, hellgrammites leave the water and may pupate close to the water or travel up to 15 meters or more in search of a suitable site for pupation (Mangan 1994) - typically under a rock, log, or some type of debris that serves to maintain a moist environment. Exodus from the water of full-grown hellgrammites in a given location is fairly synchronous (within a few days). Voshell (2002) states that local residents along Virginia rivers report that thunderstorms trigger emergence of the hellgrammites - a phenomenon known locally as "hellgrammite crawling". It is believed that the behavior is stimulated by the vibrations from the thunder."

Interesting. I also didn't know about the origin of the wooly bugger. I figured it was either that or a crayfish, something with legs and antennae

This guy used to tie and sell a good hellgrimite imitation.

He's out of Frankstown, PA, just east of Hollidaysburg

https://www.facebook.com/AquaticImitations/

Here a thread with a pic of a hellgrammite fly I tie for smallies (plus a stonecat fly). Tying instructions are found in the post below

Smallie Bait

DaveW has a good one also. Maybe he will post it.

Wooly buggers work well too.

I have found a 3-4" one in the Schuylkill down from Pottstown, so if they can survive in that river then they are definitely other places too.

We find them on the road up at camp on the Sinnemahoning pretty regularly. Find some big adult Dobson flies too. The pinchers on these things are easily over an inch themselves. Bugs gotta be a good 6" or more. Someone told me a story once that during the evening outdoor events at the Capitol in Hbg. there were times they would come in off the river in mass, much to dismay of the well-dressed crowd. In Idaho the bait shops sold what they called Hellgramites but they didn't look anything like these. I think they were actually dragonfly larvae.

The main thing I've learned about hellgrammites is that smallies can't resist them!
I was fishing the Delaware around Martins Creek for shad many moons ago and had a female mallard following me around. I stated looking for something to give her and I found about a 3" hellgrammite.

I tossed it over and she swallowed it right down while I cringed thinking about those claws going down her throat! :eek:

Apparently, ducks can't resist them either... ;)

I also found a huge one that crawled into my shoe overnight while camping along Pine Creek at Cedar Run. I found it AFTER feeling something in my shoe when I put my foot in.

Needless to say, these days I always check my shoes before putting my foot in, something I should have learned from watching cowboys in the movies looking for scorpions in their boots... :)

I've taken out of the Susky and Juniata in at least 6 different spots. When cleaning the boat in the morning, I've found as many as 6 dobsonflies in the boat. You'll swear that you are getting buzzed by bats until you turn on the light and cringe 😬

Wooly bugger will work but there's also options to match specifically

We used to have contests to see who could catch the most fish off a single hellgramite growing up screwing around on the river. I think one time we broke 15 fish, in my humble opinion the are the most durable live bait option and are especially effective on smallmouth.

I have seen a few fairly realistic patterns, but haven't tied one myself.

Been doing a lot of damage with this pattern. ACC0D61F 379D 45AE 80B3 B51982139873

Last edited:
Is there a specific fly line that should be used when fishing a hellgramite imitation? I currently only have a WF floating line.

Any fly line that will turn over your hellgramite pattern and allow you to present it where you want is fine.

DaveW has a good one also. Maybe he will post it.

Wooly buggers work well too.
Here's my hellgrammite. . .

I love these bugs and June is prime time. Often, when river fishing is slow, I'll kick around and roll rocks in riffles on the Susky or Juniata River. Hellgrammite nymphs are common in the fast water sections and some are quite large, up to nearly 3 inches in length.

If you release a helgy nymph high in the water column where there isn't a lot of current, you will note that they dive straight to the bottom with a strong wiggle movement. . . which probably explains the efficacy of patterns tied with marabou or rabbit strip. Don't hesitate to impart some jigging action when fishing helgy nymphs.

Also, a characteristic I point out is that many helgy fly patterns are black. Most of the helgy nymphs I see are much lighter: their heads/thorax tend to be dark brown, almost a mahogany tone, but the longer abdomens are usually in the mid-gray to medium brown or olive tone. Like most nymphs, they're lighter on the underside.

Attachments

• HG1.jpg
    HG1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 34
The problem with a big black woolly bugger is you can't be sure a fish took it for a hellgrammite or...

...a big black woolly bugger. ;)

Back