helgramite nymph pattern

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

Does anyone have a helgramite nymph pattern they would be willing to share. Also, I know these guys live on Penns but does anyone know if they are present on Big Fishing Creek (Lamar-Tylersville) and Spring Creek (State College)? Thanks

Bill Skiltons pattern and material.
the last one I tie for bass but works on trout in a smaller size..

Attachments

• 6-15-09 119.jpg
    6-15-09 119.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 7-7-2010 004.jpg
    7-7-2010 004.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 4
  • twisted bass.jpg
    twisted bass.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 5
I've found an olive and black wooly bugger to be as good or better at catching fish than any helgy pattern I've tied or buyed....lol. And I've fished a whole bunch of them for trout and smallies in rivers and streams all over PA and many other states.

My guess would be that helgys are present in Spring and Fishing but I'd also guess they are not a food source the fish key on much. I've done a good bit of rock rolling on both those streams and have never seen a helgy. By contrast, large warm water rivers like the Susquehanna are just stupid with them. When I have seen helgys on trout streams, they tend to run in smaller sizes - usually about 2" or less whereas in the big rivers they are much larger.

Thanks guys. I didn't give it much thought but a small black bugger might just be the trick. My buddy caught a nice sized rainbow on Penns the other day and as he was removing the hook for that fish's mouth, it spit out 4 nymphs into his hand. 1 was a hellgrammite about an inch in length and the others were about size 14 mayfly nymphs but didn't look close enough to see what type. The fish was caught on golden stonefly. Man, was that fish ever fat too. About 15 inch range. I'm guessing it was a fall stockie that is just filling its gut with whatever it can find. Gonna be a good spring!!!!

Back