Heffley to Host Committee Hearing to Discuss Francis E. Walter Dam Reevaluation Study

vcregular

vcregular

This should be interesting since. Unless you are in lock step with the whitewater industry your voice be damned? We shall see.

HARRISBURG– At the request of Rep. Doyle Heffley (R-Carbon), the House Majority Policy Committee will convene a virtual hearing later this month to discuss issues related to the ongoing reevaluation study of the Francis E. Walter Dam and Reservoir by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The committee is chaired by Rep. Martin Causer (R-Cameron/McKean/Potter).

The virtual hearing will be held on Thursday, March 18, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Members of the public can view the proceedings live at pahousegop.com/livestreams and at repheffley.com/livestreams.

“Like many local residents, I have some serious concerns about the impact the study may have on the future of tourism and outdoor recreation in our region,” said Heffley. “I am grateful Chairman Causer and the committee have agreed to conduct an in-depth look at this issue and the possible economic consequences for northeastern Pennsylvania.”

The corps began the feasibility reevaluation study last year to examine whether potential improvements to infrastructure or operational methods could allow water in the reservoir to be used for other purposes to support the ecological health of the Delaware River Basin. In particular, officials will consider management options that could release additional water under drought conditions to help reduce salinity downstream.

“The Policy Committee understands and appreciates the significant value that the Lehigh River brings to the region’s tourism businesses,” Causer added. “This hearing will give the committee a better understanding of the status of the Army Corp’s reevaluation study of the Francis E. Walter Dam and the impact of any changes to the water flow.”

Those expected to testify include officials from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Delaware River Basin Commission, and New York City Department of Environmental Protection, along with the Carbon County commissioners, several business owners and representatives of economic development associations in the Pocono region.

A listing of confirmed testifiers will be released closer to the hearing date.

Representative Doyle Heffley
122nd Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives

http://www.repheffley.com/News/19302/Press-Releases/Heffley-to-Host-Committee-Hearing-to-Discuss-Francis-E-Walter-Dam-Reevaluation-Study-

Will be live streamed March 18.

What does NYC DEP have to do with it?

NYC DEP is a co-sponsor to the Feasibility Study along with DRBC.
Why? NYCDEP has a vested interest in FEW to take off some of the pressure from the Upper Delaware reservoirs for saltline control down in Trenton/Philly . That is why NYCDEP and DRBC are looking into FEW as a possible source of additional storage in the watershed.

Heffley has stacked the deck in this hearing. In addition to NYCDEP and DRBC he has invited private whitewater interests to provide in-person testimony as well. He nixed any fisheries agency (PFBC) or conservation orgs (TU) to provide in-person testimony however they both submitted written testimony. Heffley has spoken out negatively in the past about TU, calling them a rogue organization.

Our organization (LCFA) met with Heffley a handful of years ago, he was extremely arrogant and wanted nothing to do with understanding the trout fishery, resource or potential economic benefits to his district and believes trout come from a truck. He was more concerned over the improving water quality of the river and its impact on local industry and development.

My guess is Heffley and the committee will grill and interrogate the agencies and get a sob story from the whitewater representatives saying these agencies plan to take all the water and destroy their livelihoods. Which is not even close to the truth about the foundation of the Feasibility Study, but is all speculation until tomorrow. We shall see.

http://www.pahousegop.com/livestreams

If you have time to watch, I recommend it if you have interest in the Lehigh River trout fishery

I'll check it out, thank you

Watched bits and pieces while working. I didn't hear anything surprising or unexpected based on what the posters above and other people following the situation had expected.

Hopefully this ends up in more storage of water in the reservoir and more water released during drought times and when its hot. It occurred to me that the times they are going to be sending more water down the river to push the salt line back is the same time we would want them to release more water because its hot and flow is low and temps are higher. Perhaps everyone wins in the end if this is the result?

Also, does anyone have the link that shows the inflow into FEW? Thanks

The hearing went as I thought it would. What is amazing is that people get a preconceived notion and are not willing to accept the "science" or facts unless its convenient for their personal agendas.

I don't think this will have any affect on the Study or outcomes. But I see a potential impact in getting funding into ACOE's budget for operational changes and construction. That may be a political battle and trying to get these elected officials to understand the concept and benefits is going to be difficult. I get that its a complex situation, but its not rocket science......But that might be easier to explain to them.

Here is a link to graph showing inflow to FEW:

https://www.nap-wc.usace.army.mil/nap_plots/WALTR.html

And perhaps everyone looses except NYC DEP who really wants to continue to de-water the Delaware river and keep more water for themselves. It will be interesting to see what happens but don't turn your back on NYC DEP.

Doug,

I don't trust NYC DEP for a second, no doubt about what they want. I am hopeful that there are enough people paying attention that they won't get it...

So you don’t want NYC or DRBC to store more water in FEW for drought releases? Because that is what they want.

http://www.pahousegop.com/News/19390/Latest-News/Heffley-and-Committee-Examine-Potential-Impact-of-Francis-E-Walter-Dam-Reevaluation-Study-on-Region%E2%80%99s-Economy

LehighRegular, No, i personally don't want NYC or DRBC to have any more power or ability to de-water the Upper Delaware River System more than they already have. Let them release more water into the Upper Delaware System for downstream drought mitigation.

Chrome.... they wont and can't. NYC does not own the FEW reservoir. BUt the own the ones on the Upper D and that is part of the reason the water issues are so contentious. FEW is owned by the federal govt.

NYC and DRBC could only request ACOE to release "extra" water during times of drought which is a good thing for the Lehigh. NYC would still have to meet federally mandated flow targets at Montague, so releases from those reservoirs wouldnt be curtailed.

LehighRegular wrote:
The hearing went as I thought it would. What is amazing is that people get a preconceived notion and are not willing to accept the "science" or facts unless its convenient for their personal agendas.

I don't think this will have any affect on the Study or outcomes. But I see a potential impact in getting funding into ACOE's budget for operational changes and construction. That may be a political battle and trying to get these elected officials to understand the concept and benefits is going to be difficult. I get that its a complex situation, but its not rocket science......But that might be easier to explain to them.

Here is a link to graph showing inflow to FEW:

https://www.nap-wc.usace.army.mil/nap_plots/WALTR.html

Do you think PA legislators have much influence on the Army Corps of Engineers (federal government.)

Storing more water to improve summer flows would be a good thing for the Lehigh River.

The main thing limiting the trout fishery is summer flows.

LehighRegular,

Who has more influence over over DRBC?
I can assure you its not the State of Pennsylvania.

I do agree that releasing additional water during extreme drought into any river would be a benefit to that river.

Again, I personally want more water coming from the upper Delaware system Reservoirs in times of drought.

I am also very skeptical of NY DEP, NYC and DRBC based on their past history. IMO, its naive to think that NY DEP, and NYC don't have a hidden agenda here.

If NYC gets some control of FE Walter water, whether that control is gained through DRBC, NYDEP or USAce - i view that as a BAD thing.

Don't watch what they say, watch what they do.

I'm sure other will disagree with me and that's okay.

Everyone focuses on NYC and NJ, but something to else to keep in mind is the fact that the City of Philadelphia needs freshwater for drinking water. If the salt line continues to progress upstream, in the time of doubt it is a very real concern that Philly and many NJ cities could be left with saltwater. One of the primary focal points behind this study is looking at how the entire watershed can better manage resources to keep the salt line below drinking water intakes.

First, Troutbert makes the point about which I was thinking as soon as this thread appeared. Why is it thought that local Pa legislators have any kind of real, direct influence with the ACOE, a federal agency?

Second, the Corps does take orders from DRBC with respect to coordinated releases within the Delaware Basin if DRBC owns the water in FEW. That’s the situation at Blue Marsh. (I don’t know who owns FEW water). When DRBC wants water added to the Schuylkill from Blue Marsh for salt line control in the Delaware, the Corps does so.

Third, it is not just the Philly water intakes on the Delaware Estuary that are a concern; it is also saltwater intrusion into the NJ aquifer that is trying to be prevented.

This "hearing" talked and discussed all the potential negatives associated with the study. I understand they must be discussed, but in fairness I think the positives must also be acknowledged as well. Not to dismiss the concerns or negatives, but I really don't see a downside to this. I think a lot of the concerns were dismissed during the testimony and will be dismissed once the Study is completed. It appeared to me how poorly the legislators really understand the dynamics of the Lehigh and watershed as a whole.

I don't think this "hearing" will have any influence on the outcome of this Study. Where I see the problem is down the road with funding. That's my concern. The state legislators can influence Federal Legislators. All speculation right now and will have to see how this plays out. But something to be prepared for.

As of now, DRBC does not have an agreement with ACOE to store water in FEW for drought such as it does for Blue Marsh or Beltzville. I would guess that will change if the recommendations from the Study demonstrate favorable use of FEW during drought declarations.

Again, the only time DRBC would request a change in releases from FEW is during drought declarations. Operation during non drought times would be in accordance with the Recreational Flow Plans and similar to Beltzville and Blue Marsh.

LehighRegular,

Do you speak for and control what DRBC does?

I am just wondering how can you make a statement like "the only time DRBC would request a change in releases from FEW is during drought declarations".

Back