Heavier rod recommendations

Beweav

Beweav

I need some advice on buying a heavier weight rod. I primarily want to get a heavier rod to fish for smallmouth. I just want to extra power to throw some bigger files.
But I also am going to have the opportunity to fish the flats in the gulf for Redfish. I was looking into getting a 7 wt but I don’t know if that would be heavy enough for the redfish. Any thoughts?

I thought people use 8 or 9 wt for red fish. An 8wt is good for SMB on larger rivers.

I have an 8 weight I use for warm water and steelhead fishing and never felt any need to use a lighter weight in those situations. My next lightest weight rods are 5 weights so I don't have experience with 6 or 7's, but I don't feel like I am missing out.

Can't comment on redfishing.

I used an 8 WT many times for reds on the South Carolina and Florida coasts. It should be perfect for Reds on the flats. An 8 WT will also work for Trout, snook, small jacks, and other light saltwater fish. It will work well for smallies on bigger rivers in PA, too. I use 6, 7, and 8 WTs for smallies. You will likely need different lines for the FL coast and PA rivers.

A variety of factors dictate rod weights for redfish.

I use mostly 6wts and 7wts for sight casting FL redfish. Lately it's been a 6wt.
I rarely pick up an 8wt and that used to be the standard.

My personal favorite rod in the 6-8wt range is a 790 Scott Sector.

Last edited:
Dear Beweav,

Get an 8 weight, it will work for smallmouth, largemouth, and panfish here in PA and small redfish everywhere.

To put things in perspective, I have a friend who guides the Louisiana marshes for redfish. Right now his clients are tossing 10 weights on his boat because the average fish they are catching are 36" plus and over 20 pounds. If you never expect to catch anything that large an 8 weight will work, but if you are after the biggins an 8 weight gets old and tiresome quickly according to my buddy.

Like I said, just get an 8 weight. It's much more versatile than a 7 or a 10 weight.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks everybody for that info! Seems like an 8 wt could cover both of them pretty well.
A variety of factors dictate rod weights for redfish.

I use mostly 6wts and 7wts for sight casting FL redfish. Lately it's been a 6wt.
I rarely pick up an 8wt and that used to be the standard.

My personal favorite rod in the 6-8wt range is a 790 Scott Sector.
I'd be interested in knowing what made you go to a lighter rod?

Also, I'm assuming fly line will need to be different, but what about reel? Is there anything different in reel between the warm water and saltwater?

Thanks everybody for that info! Seems like an 8 wt could cover both of them pretty well.

Also, I'm assuming fly line will need to be different, but what about reel? Is there anything different in reel between the warm water and saltwater?
Dear Beweav,

A sealed drag, a fully machined reel body and anodized finish are good ideas but not essential. Long before there were Charltons, Tibors, and Pates people caught 100-pound tarpon on Pflueger 1498's. Keeping the reel clean and free of salt residue, sand, and bits of flotsam and jetsam is the most important thing to remember. Rinse in fresh water after inspecting the reel for any salt or grit after you use it each day and you should be fine.

If you fish 3 days and rinse and inspect it every day on your last day of fishing it often is a good idea to strip the line and backing off the spool and wash everything down with warm soapy water. When dry wind everything back up and add lube or grease where it is required.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I'll send a pm on my reasoning for my rod weight choices. I might rant on that.

Personally I prefer unsealed cork drags. If the cork is greased properly and has any drag set on it, it is sealed from water anyway. The big thing is I can take my Tibors apart with a penny, should I need to.
The last sealed drag reel I had fail on a redfish (it started free spooling) I had to smash it with a hammer to get it apart. It had a warranty but I wanted to see for myself what broke, and I didn't want that junk again anyway (and I was mad it cost me fishing days). Hindsight being 20/20 I should've gotten it replaced and given it away.
If you really get into the sealed/unsealed argument, the Tibor Signature series is the best of both worlds in my mind. They have an o-ring that seals the cork but are still serviceable.

On fly line, usually saltwater lines have a stiffer core and a better taper (more suited for certain conditions) but I've used the cheapest Cortland WF trout line for redfish and never had an issue. Yeah it wore out quick, but I just replaced it more often.

No personal experience here, but my son bought an 8-weight for stripers shortly after he moved to coastal Maine (several years ago). It proved more than adequate for his needs, and he plans on using it for big streamers now that he moved to central PA.

Why PM? I personally would like your input.

I did that because I tend to rant on. Beweav is probably still trying to decipher my incoherant ramblings.

I might be able to sum up my thinking.

When I said many factors went into picking a redfish rod the factors are what state, where in that state, water conditions and fishing pressure.

For example, LA was mentioned. LA has notoriously dumb redfish found in muddy, deeper, water. You can get away with big flies and heavy line weights. In FL you're fishing in clearer, lower, water. Basically spookier fish. I assumed "the gulf" meant west coast of FL. That's a clear water fishery seeing an increase in fishing pressure due to last year's redfish regulations change.

Many have recommended a rod weight to land the fish.
I'm interested in a rod weight to feed that fish. I can't land that fish if I can't feed it first. [If you seen the fish I posted in the "best of the year" thread the black drum, and redfish (3 and 4) were both landed on a 691]
So in sight fishing think of the fly line weight the same as tippet size for trout. That pressure change on the water of the heavier line hitting spooks the finicky fish, so like dropping tippet on a tippet shy trout, I change line size.
Those rods are already throwing bonefish tapers and 15' leaders.

That's why I said the old standard was an 8wt but I'm seeing it trend lighter, to where I rarely pick up my 8wt anymore. That's just my observations with my feet on the casting platform and in the sand.

That's again why I mentioned the 790 Scott Sector. That rod with a Tibor Everglades is the best do-it-all rod I've found.

Now you could say "throw a 7wt line on an 8wt" but when I'm using a fast 8wt to begin with I will rock the boat (literally) trying to get that rod to load with the lighter line and no feel. Those pressure waves from the boat rocking send the fish away before the line hits the water.

Can’t help you with redfish in the gulf since it’s not something I do. I fish the Delaware and Susquehanna rivers for smallmouth. I use 8 weights, one with floating line and the other with an intermediate sink shooting head. I use a 6 weight for SMB on my protected local creek. Could I use the 6 on the rivers I fish? Sure, but flailing around with a rod not up to the bigger wind, bigger flies, maybe heavier flies of bigger water is way more tiring then just using a heavier rod to begin with. Some days any weight will work but on windy days the 6 weight is a poor choice and an 8 weight works on any day. I have no ego concerning what weight rods I use and an outfit weighing ounces more doesn’t tire me out any faster. Unless I’m fishing poppers, I prefer the shooting head since it’s much like fishing with a spinning rod. I don’t play the over/under lining game and stick with the lines rated to the rods weight.

why did I pick 8 weights? Because both Bob Clouser and Lefty Kreh recommend 8 weights for SMB on the Susquehanna. Good enough for me. It’s a great rod for schoolie stripers as well.

nothing wrong with getting one of each If your really conflicted.

I need some advice on buying a heavier weight rod. I primarily want to get a heavier rod to fish for smallmouth. I just want to extra power to throw some bigger files.
But I also am going to have the opportunity to fish the flats in the gulf for Redfish. I was looking into getting a 7 wt but I don’t know if that would be heavy enough for the redfish. Any thoughts?
I agree with "Poop" above, why struggle FFing with an unpowered rod.

For just fishing SM a 7wt would do the job, but if you plan to fish for redfish with it, you can't go wrong with an 8wt.

Beweav, you should be able to find a shop that allows you to lawn-cast some different rigs. It won't be the same as actual field conditions, but it should get you in the neighborhood of what you're looking for.

I need some advice on buying a heavier weight rod... I just want to extra power to throw some bigger files....
This is the KEY criteria, not the species of fish!!

Speaking from smallmouth experience at all distances, when I want to exclusively throw smaller poppers and either lightly weighted or unweighted sub-surface stuff, I fish a 6wt.

If I think I may want to chuck heavier or more wind resistant stuff I'll go to a 7 weight.

If I want to fish my biggest & heavier flies, it's an 8 weight.

If I was unsure and had to pick one, it would be the 8 weight...

Also keep in mind all three suck if you try and fish those bigger flies on a leader better suited to trout fishing. Short & stout is the key...

Good luck!!

I really appreciate all the input everybody! I’m going to have to get my hands on a couple rods and see what I enjoy casting the most.
While we are on that subject. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on fiberglass rods in heavier weights. I’ve seen some used Fenwick fiberglass rods around and was wondering how they would fish.

Back